Weatherfield Quays is an upmarket area of Weatherfield situated on the banks of the River Irwell. As part of a regeneration scheme in the late 1980s, new dockland apartments were built which were, at the time, among the most desirable in the town. Residents of the suburb over the years include Mike and Alma Baldwin, Danny Baldwin, Dev Alahan, Carla Connor, and Steve McDonald.
It continues to be a premier spot in Weatherfield, home to many trendy pubs and restaurants.
The quays were re-developed over 1989 and 1990, with river view apartments built including Quebec House and Montreal House. Mike Baldwin moved into the former in August of that year, leaving 46b, St. Mary's Place after selling Baldwin's Casuals to Maurice Jones. Audrey Roberts also became interested in living there after being entertained by Mike and his girlfriend Dawn Prescott, and set about persuading Alf to put their names down for a corner flat in the next phase. Alf eventually gave in, but Audrey conceded that it was out of their price range and settled for a semi instead.
In 1991, Mike married Jackie Ingram and left the quays but swiftly returned following his separation, buying No. 4 Montreal House, his home until his death in 2006, after which it became the property of his son Danny.
Over the years, several Baldwin family dramas would spill out into the quay. In 1997, Don Brennan, seeking revenge over Mike, drove his taxi into the Irwell with Alma inside. Both managed to escape unscathed. In 2006, suffering from severe Alzheimers Mike went missing from home, causing concern due to him living near water. He was found safe but confused at the riverbank by Danny and Leanne Battersby. Later that same year, during a brawl between Danny and his son Jamie Baldwin over Jamie's relationship with his stepmother Frankie the men fell into the river, where Jamie was momentarily feared drowned before being rescued with Danny's help. The Baldwins left the area shortly thereafter when Danny sold Mike's old flat.
Other residents of the quays included footballer Wayne Farrell, and the brother-in-law of Derek, a man Liz McDonald had an affair with in 2007. The pair cheated on their partners at the apartment and on one occasion Liz was locked out on the balcony semi-naked when Derek's wife showed up unexpectedly, causing Liz to finish with Derek.
- After its introduction in 1989, Weatherfield Quays was used as a fictional stand-in for Salford Quays with most exterior scenes recorded there. Scenes set in the vicinity of Mike Baldwin's first docklands flat, No.6 Quebec House, was shot at Mariner's Canal, Vancouver Quay and St. Lawrence Quay when it appeared over 1989 and 1990.
- In 2008, the Victoria Court flats were introduced to Coronation Street's outdoor set. The modern apartments housed characters who would typically live at Weatherfield Quays, removing the need for location filming. Since then, Weatherfield Quays has been represented by Wharf End and Trafford Wharf Road (Episodes 7058 and 7059, Waterfront Quay (Episode 9158), and the car park at the programme's MediaCity studios (Episode 8414).
- Pier 6
- Provencal Restaurant
- Paris Restaurant
- Glass Restaurant
- Chinese restaurant (Episode 9157 (5th May 2017))
- The Bowdon
List of appearances
- Note: List does not include interiors
Quebec House area
- Episode 2966 (30th August 1989)
- Episode 2973 (25th September 1989)
- Episode 2982 (23rd October 1989)
- Episode 2983 (25th October 1989)
- Episode 3023 (26th January 1990)
- Episode 3024 (29th January 1990)
- Episode 3027 (5th February 1990)
- Episode 3039 (5th March 1990)
- Episode 3076 (1st June 1990)
- Episode 3077 (4th June 1990)
- Episode 3161 (17th December 1990)
Montreal House area
- Episode 3752 (16th September 1994)
- Episode 3826 (6th March 1995)
- Episode 4169 (31st March 1997)
- Episode 4179 (18th April 1997)
- Episode 4368 (15th March 1998)
- Episode 5199 (21st January 2002)
- Episode 5334 (8th September 2002)
- Episode 5469 (26th March 2003)
- Episode 5517 (2nd June 2003)
- Episode 5737 (18th April 2004)
- Episode 5895 (22nd November 2004)
- Episode 5898 (24th November 2004)
- Episode 6247 (13th March 2006)
- Episode 6249 (15th March 2006)
- Episode 6406 (20th October 2006)
- Episode 6429 (20th November 2006)
- Episode 6430 (20th November 2006)
- Episode 6432 (24th November 2006)
Drapers Mill apartments area
- Note: Due to the proximity of the studios to Salford Quays, Coronation Street has occasionally recorded scenes in and around the area, though only those specifically stated as being set in Weatherfield Quays are listed on this page.
- Episode 2955 (24th July 1989)
- Episode 2992 (15th November 1989)
- Episode 2997 (27th November 1989)
- Episode 3546 (26th May 1993)
- Episode 3827 (8th March 1995)
- Episode 4179 (18th April 1997)
- Episode 4180 (20th April 1997)
- Episode 5681 (30th January 2004)
- Episode 6513 (16th March 2007)
- Episode 6515 (19th March 2007)
- Episode 6518 (23rd March 2007)
- Episode 6524 (1st April 2007)
- Episode 7058 (20th April 2009)
- Episode 7059 (20th April 2009)
- Episode 7141 (14th August 2009)
- Episode 7142 (14th August 2009)
- Episode 7768 (29th December 2011)
- Episode 8414 (27th June 2014)
- Episode 9158 (5th May 2017)