Okay, I've had a think about what to put on the front page instead of the catch-up spoilers. How about instead of describing the episodes, I just list the dates and give the 'read more' links, then with the extra space do the same for the episodes Canada and New Zealand are currently on. That way users from any countries Corrie is shown (are there any more?) can get right to the most recent episodes without having to look.
It also means the box will be easier to keep updated.
David 08:42, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
- Progress; but I've copied that and replied to it on Talk:Coronation Street Wiki. Robin Patterson 09:53, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
The front page now displays catchup for Canada and New Zealand.
I have to say I'm dead against the subcategories for users. There aren't very many users, so one category will do. I'm going to remove the others now.
Thank you for editing the welcome template.
David 11:42, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
What does the welcome template say now? I found it a little off putting and propiatorial. Could it say 'our' instead of #my' and also ;we' instead of 'I'? DavidXBrunt 11:44, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
(More) recent episodesEdit
Do you mean UP TO the point where Tracy is jailed? If so, yeah, I can do that. Please specify the point beyond which you don't want me to go and I can add a week's worth of episodes each week, so to speak.--Jtomlin1uk 12:31, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
Hi Robin, have you any experience of editing Wiki skins? I've been trying my best to come up with a good one but I'm terrible at it so I've kept it the way it is. Given your Wikia experience I was hoping you might be able to come up with something? (Blue just isn't Corrie's colour, I think) David 15:04, 5 June 2008 (UTC)
Remember to speak slowly, as to a simple childEdit
I'm hugley flattered that you think I'm doing great work but the rest of your last message was lost on me. You may be a veteran Wikia man but I'm not and don't understand what you were telling me, nor how to implement it. How about telling me where I'm going wrong and what I need to do to improve it. Then I can have a think about it.
I wasn't aware that I had gone hugely off par with it as I'm sure David and John would have interevened but clearly I have. At the moment I think it might be a good idea to continue generating content for the site as that's where whatever skills I have seem to be usefull. As it is it's been mostly character and actor profiles. Could you pick a specific example and show me where I've made mistakes? That kind of example might be more usefull to me.
The title might sound daft but I am, essentially, a computer illiterate who is only just getting his head around the concepts and form. Using the most basic of language presuming I know nothing is the way to go with me on this one. The example you geve lost me completley. And please, remember the WHY when explainging. That way I'll understand a lot better and quicker.
Thanks for that, DavidXBrunt 12:05, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
New Zealand episodesEdit
Robin, as per your request of last week (sorry I took so long to do this), I've today added pages for the four episodes that I "think" were shown in New Zealand this week. Please could you take a look and advise if I've got this right. Now - do you want me to put the next episode on in order that you can update the main page on this wiki with the "next episode" info which I'll gladly do. In return, could you update the episodes going forward with the casts for the two monday episodes? As you (perhaps) know, in the UK only the second Monday episode shows a cast list and this is a combined one for the two episodes shown that night - the only way to get an exact cast list is to watch them!! Look foward to hearing from you.--Jtomlin1uk 14:07, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for that. I'll do a further check and make sure the right ones are posted.--Jtomlin1uk 16:22, 6 June 2008 (UTC)
Please be careful here! Whereas there may be only one Elsie or one Ena, Granada does reuse first names (e.g. Jack Walker - Jack Duckworth) and confusion and errors could occur when you are dealing with the mass of data, episodes and characters that Corrie has. As it is, I seem to spend an awful lot of time on the "Wanted Pages" page clearing up duplicates. Also, I don't spend a lot of time with piped links - I always type in word first to bring up spelling and grammar checks and then use "Find/Replace" to produce the links.--Jtomlin1uk 07:30, 7 June 2008 (UTC)
Deletion of category redirect Edit
Sorry Robin, I only deleted this as the red link for the initially wrongly-spelled category is still showing on the list of "wanted pages" - which incidentally could still be created in error if someone's referring to that list. I'll reinstate now though. --Karen2310 12:51, March 15, 2012 (UTC)
- A redirect showing on "wanted pages"? Funny bugs Wikia turns up! Thanks for restoring. -- Robin Patterson (Talk) 23:16, March 15, 2012 (UTC)
User categories Edit
Given names Edit
- No pages linked to the redirects, which is why they were deleted. What you're suggesting re: a disambiguation page [for example] "Steve" is good in theory, there would be literally hundreds of names on there - regular characters, minor characters and actors since it would need to be comprehensive and accurate. (Who's to say someone isn't searching for someone who appeared in one episode?) Just by typing "Steve" in the search box gives you the top six popular page listings. Regards Karen2310 (talk) 16:01, August 30, 2017 (UTC)
- Abuse of the word "literally" may reduce your credibility. (Who was it that mentioned a "need to be ... accurate"?} http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Special:AllPages?from=Steve_%28Episode_1527%29&to=The_1979_ITV_Strike shows fewer than 40 individuals named Steve, Steven, or Stevie who are the subject of articles . I doubt if people named "Stephen" would add much to that. But even that list doesn't tell the searcher which one he or she was wanting to read about. To be fully comprehensive and accurate, we would have to require all articles about someone with any of those names to be in a category such as "Steve (given name)", but in the absence of a ruthless and all-knowing dictatorship we can't achieve perfection going that way, so a simple disambiguation page - constructed from the above "All pages" extract - should be fairly comprehensive and do the trick for most searchers. Maybe next year ... ! -- Robin Patterson (Talk) 03:53, September 1, 2017 (UTC)
Nice to see another wikia user also from New Zealand! I've been watching since I was around 5 (mid-2000s) but got more into it around the tram crash (however I prefer Emmerdale much more now). I've signed up to a few forum sites (http://emmercorrie.jcink.net is the only site I use now) but I've never actually talked to anyone online from Australasia on any sites relating to soaps so it's cool to finally see someone else from New Zealand. Danielroxheaps 01:31, January 4, 2019 (UTC)
- Yes I received your message. Glad to see someone take an interest in running a wikia for an NZ soap. I sent a response - did you receive it? Danielroxheaps 07:09, January 4, 2019 (UTC)