Annie has gone to Derby with Lucille after news has reached the Street that Jack has died while staying at Joan's. Frank Bradley and Judd Johnson look for Ray who they were in Borstal with some years previously. Maggie tells Len she knows she's second best for him after Elsie. She realises he is using her to make Elsie jealous and refuses. Ray is annoyed to see Frank and Judd. They tell him they're going straight and he takes them on to make some cabinets for the studio. Len tells Alan he has to mop up after him as he cares for Elsie. Emily isn't happy about having Frank and Judd in the studio. Alan asks Elsie to marry him so that they can never get away from each other, she doesn't believe him and refuses.
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Sandra Butler - Patricia Fuller
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Fairclough and Langton - Yard and office
- Camera Shop
- Tommy Boyle makes the first of several pre-Phil Jennings appearances as Frank.
- This episode features the death of Jack Walker but in deference to the feelings of the late Arthur Leslie's family, the incident is dealt with quickly and as an event that is already a known fact to the Street residents when the episode begins (shown by way of a conversation between Maggie Clegg, Ena Sharples and Minnie Caldwell in the Corner Shop as pictured above) and although mentioned a couple of times, it does not dominate the storyline of the episode.
- TV Times synopsis: A lonely Elsie has an unexpected visitor.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,100,000 homes (1st place).
|July 1970 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th
Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →