Lucille has her tea leaves read by Hilda in the hope that she'll see wedding bells. Hilda predicts a Spring wedding for her and Gordon. Hilda keeps a checklist of her predictions to track her success, unaware that Stan has been going around trying to make them come true to drum up more trade. Ray isn't bothered about finding Janice. Dave tells him he has three hours left to return his belongings. Ray considers keeping the money and leaving the area. Annie is fed up with cleaning the Rovers in Hilda's absence. Jack urges her to make amends with Emily. Annie considers it demeaning and insists that Emily make the first move. Ena tells Ray not to throw away his future and persuades him to give her the money to hand back to Dave. Minnie is on a losing streak at the betting shop. Ena returns the money and tells Dave he's past redemption. Dave calls her interfering and tells her to get onto Minnie if she's so into helping lame dogs; she owes him money. Gordon passes his exams and wins £5 for being one of the youngest candidates. Ena tears up Minnie's betting slip and confiscates her newspaper when she catches her planning her next bet in the snug. Ena informs Len that Janice stole Dave's car and that Ray is packing because he isn't trusted at the yard. Gordon spends his prize money on an engagement ring for Lucille. Dave learns the truth and makes up with Len and Ray. Elsie offers to pay off Minnie's debt of over £10 but Ena refuses on her friend's behalf. Hilda excitedly tells Stan that a reporter is coming round to interview her.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Gordon Clegg - Bill Kenwright
- Audrey Fleming - Gillian McCann
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Dickie Fleming - Nigel Humphreys
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Fairclough and Booth - Office and yard
- Dave Smith's Betting Shop
- This episode contains no cast credits and only a partial production credits consisting of executive producer H.V. Kershaw and director Tony Wharmby.
- TV Times synopsis: Ena sits in judgement, and Stan works miracles.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,900,000 homes (1st place).
|February 1969 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th|