Jenny packs and leaves No.11 but Dennis stops her returning to London. Len goes to Nottingham as Stanley is ill. Hilda is horrified that Stan has resigned from the yard. She intends to make sure he goes back tomorrow and tells Jerry to expect him. Dennis is cold to Elsie for pushing Jenny aside. He tries to think of somewhere for her to live. Val sees an artist's impression of the new maisonettes in the Gazette and thinks they look great. She calls Ken a stick-in-the-mud for not being interested. Dennis decides that No.5 is Jenny's best bet and drops heavy hints until Minnie volunteers. Annie feels bad for Hilda having to put up with Stan and gives her a drink on the house. Stan plans to get a labouring job at the building site. Dennis is amazed as Minnie guards Jenny's virtue. The site foreman Wilf Jones considers taking Stan on. David and Irma pack. Irma still doesn't want to move. David promises her she'll feel differently when they get there. David asks Ken to visit Frank more after he leaves. Hilda discovers drayman Vince Boyle tried to settle in Australia but couldn't. She gets him to talk to Irma. Irma warns Stan that she'll be back if he fails to look after Hilda. Irma is horrified at Vince's tales about how expensive everything is in Australia. Outside, Vince and Hilda throw each other the thumbs up.
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Margaret Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Jenny Sutton - Mitzi Rogers
- Wilf Jones - John Comer
- Leslie Clegg - John Sharp
- Vince Boyle - Robert Hartley
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- The scene of the Maisonettes building site was OB recorded on the future Grape Street set.
- Although not credited on-screen, Colin Rees was given a credit in TV Times for location work on this episode, presumably meaning the Maisonettes on the Grape Street set.
- TV Times synopsis: The Barlows prepare for new horizons
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,200,000 homes (1st place).
|April 1968 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th|