Stan thinks David is under the thumb. Hilda is under the mistaken impression that Irma is pregnant. Irma thinks Stan will make a mess of the the ice cream business, upsetting Hilda. Ena and Len enjoy themselves by playing up to each other while all the time Len enjoys her meals. Wally complains that Ruth is treating them like children and refuses to go to the Over 60's Club. Irma apologises to Hilda. She tries to get more unregistered tick but David almost catches them. Stan plans to do his milk round in the mornings and sell ice cream in the afternoons. The menfolk are amused when Stan tells them he plans to ask David to buy into his business. Annie is insulted when Ruth asks her to join the Over 60's Club and tells her she's only just passed fifty. Wally starts to organise a boycott of the club conning Ernie Mills, Dave Smith's clerk, into joining him. Irma has Stan and Hilda round for tea, annoying David. They gossip about Elliston's Raincoat Factory being revamped and changed to plastic welding. David points out that the shop sells ice creams and Stan will be going into competition with him. Stan and Hilda dismiss his concerns. He's annoyed that Stan assumes he's going into business with him and for helping himself to shop cigarettes. Annie complains to Ena about Ruth who has trouble getting interest for the community centre and realises that people are starting to work against her. David tackles Irma about not writing down Hilda's shopping in the tick book. They row and she tells him that she's going to get a job away from the shop.
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop - Shop, back room and bedroom
- 15 Mawdsley Street - Back room
- Sandra Gough forgets the line "I like this game" in the final scene and has to be audibly prompted by a member of the crew.
- TV Times synopsis: Stan goes into business; Wally goes gunning for Ruth
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,650,000 homes (2nd place).
|May 1966 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →