At the last minute Emma changes her mind again and lies to the court saying that it was Les who attacked Mick and not the other way round. Mick thanks Emma but she tells him that she was just scared of telling the truth and what it would mean to her relationship with her police colleagues, not because she was supportive of him. Emma hates herself for being a coward. Curly is appalled by what she's done. Les's witness Dave Arden turns up at the last minute and backs up Les's story but under cross-examination admits to having had run-ins with the police himself. Les himself doesn't give convincing evidence and barrister Simon Darcy points out that both parties had injuries. Les counters that Hopwood is living with his wife. This throws Darcy and all of the court but he accuses Les of lashing out at Mick and provokes Les into saying he hates his guts. He also reads out Les's previous convictions, including one for assault. Mick is recalled in an effort by defence barrister John Rivers to make Hopwood appear less than credible. Darcy cross-examines him and gets Mick to declare he has never been involved in previous enquiries and has two commendations on his record. The jury returns a verdict of guilty. Emma tells Mick that her marriage could be over. Les is sentenced to six months. He is devastated as he is led away.
- Emma Watts - Angela Lonsdale
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Mick Hopwood - Ian Gain
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Kirk Sutherland - Andrew Whyment
- Fiz Brown - Jennie McAlpine
- Les Battersby - Bruce Jones
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Norris Cole - Malcolm Hebden
- Lozza Jones - Andrew Moss
- Wendy Clements - Sarah Kirkman
- Usher - Vanessa Knox-Mawer
- Court Clerk - Tim Beasley
- John Rivers - Christopher Wright
- Simon Darcy - Richard Sinnott
- Fiona Kingsman-Lloyd - Ann Aris
- Superintendent Greenbank - Richard Heap
- David Arden - Paul Oldham
- Weatherfield Crown Court - Courtroom 1, corridor, chambers, foyer and stairway
- This episode is set entirely in the Weatherfield Crown Court buildings with no scenes set in any other location.
- TV Times synopsis: Les nervously awaits the jury's decision.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 13,770,000 viewers (2nd place).
|May 2003 episodes|
|Fri 2nd • Sun 4th • Mon 5th (1 2) • Wed 7th • Fri 9th • Sun 11th • Mon 12th (1 2) • Wed 14th • Fri 16th
Sun 18th • Mon 19th (1 2) • Wed 21st • Fri 23rd • Sun 25th • Mon 26th (1 2) • Wed 28th • Fri 30th