Richard tells Gail he can't live without her, and refuses to consider giving himself up to the police. He ties her up with gaffer tape and leaves a written confession in an envelope on the side in the living room absolving her of any responsibility for his crimes. Gail is able to pick up a pair of nail scissors without Richard noticing. He explains to Gail that he always wants to be by her side and that he loves her and the kids. Gail realises that Richard is intent on a suicide pact and fears for the worst. She is led to the garage where she finds Sarah and David tied up with tape and gagged in the back seat of the car while Bethany is asleep having been given sedatives. Gail asks to give a goodbye kiss to the children and uses the opportunity to pass the scissors to Sarah. Gail is then gagged and put in the front seat and Richard switches on the engine. He switches on the radio playing songs from their holiday in Florida as Sarah tries to free David. Audrey calls round to see Gail, there's no reply and the door is bolted from the inside. Audrey is concerned. Martin comes over and they hear the music and running engine in the garage and realise that Richard is trying to kill the whole family. Tommy and Kevin force the garage door open. Richard in desperation drives at them. Tommy, Kevin and Martin give chase in another car. Katy phones the police. Norris who's seen the whole thing tells everyone in the Rovers what's going on. Sarah and David manage to free themselves and David fights with Richard for control of the wheel while Sarah frees Gail, but it's too late; Richard drives to the canal-side and straight off the end. The car plunges into the canal. In the murky depths of the water the kidnapped occupants desperately struggle to escape.
- Richard Hillman - Brian Capron
- Gail Hillman - Helen Worth
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Tommy Nelson - Thomas Craig
- Katy Nelson - Lucy-Jo Hudson
- Mick Hopwood - Ian Gain
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- David Platt - Jack P. Shepherd
- Sarah Platt - Tina O'Brien
- Harry Flagg - Iain Rogerson
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Archie Shuttleworth - Roy Hudd
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Norris Cole - Malcolm Hebden
- Rita Sullivan - Barbara Knox
- Angela Nelson - Kathryn Hunt
- Bethany Platt - Amy & Emily Walton (Uncredited)
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 6 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 8 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms and garage
- Unknown streets in Weatherfield
- Weatherfield Canal
- Richard Hammatt was credited as the Stunt Co-ordinator on this episode.
- The scene of the car driving into the Weatherfield Canal was recorded at the Portland Basin in Ashton-under-Lyne. The car speeds down Portland Street South before turning into the basin. The same location was used in Episode 6676 (31st October 2007) when David Platt recreated the plunge.
- The music playing in the car is the "You and Me Song" by the Swedish group The Wannadies, and was also reused in Episode 6676.
- TV Times synopsis: Richard takes his family on a murderous mystery tour.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 17,840,000 viewers (1st place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 2000-2009, released on 31st October 2011.
Richard Hillman: "It's them out there that want to hurt us. They'll never leave us alone. They'll never let us get on with our lives. And if we can't live together as a family then the only choice is we'll die together as a family."
Richard Hillman: (Just prior to the car hitting the water) "This is it... I love you."
|March 2003 episodes|
|← Sun 2nd • Mon 3rd (1 2) • Wed 5th • Fri 7th • Sun 9th • Mon 10th (1 2)
Wed 12th • Fri 14th • Sun 16th • Mon 17th (1 2) • Wed 19th • Fri 21st • Sun 23rd
Mon 24th (1 2) • Wed 26th • Fri 28th • Sun 30th • Mon 31st (1 2) →