Richard confesses everything to a stunned Gail. Emulating his crimes on by one, Richard admits to leaving Duggie for dead; killing Patricia; trying to kill Audrey by setting fire to her house before convincing her that she was going mad; attempting to kill Emily for her money; killing Maxine; and framing Ade for the murder. While justifying his actions, Richard protests that he loves her and the kids so much that he only wanted to give them the best of everything and was willing to anything he could to protect them; going as far as to argue with Gail that his intention with Ade was merely to provide Sarah a better future given what he previously done to her. Richard then admits that he can't have children himself and that it the reason that not only did he value David and Sarah as his "own" kids, but that was also why Marion had left him in the first place. Calling him "Norman Bates with a briefcase", Gail tells Richard that it is over between them and he leaves the house - ashamed with himself. Shortly afterwards, Gail phones Audrey and tearfully requests for her to come over.
- Richard Hillman - Brian Capron
- Gail Hillman - Helen Worth
- Sarah Platt - Tina O'Brien
- David Platt - Jack P. Shepherd
- TV Times synopsis: Gail's world begins to fall apart when Richard confesses to a catalogue of crimes and ponders his next step.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 19,430,000 viewers (1st place). This was not only the highest-rated episode of the year but also the most-watched television programme in the UK in 2003 and of Coronation Street in the 2000s.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
Richard Hillman: "That's all I ever wanted to do - protect my family. To be everything my dad wasn't. Everything I've done is for you, Gail. I might be a killer, but I did it for you. I killed for you, Gail! Would any man you've ever known do that? Did Brian or Martin love you that much? They didn't even love you enough to stay with you. They betrayed you, like most men do, with their seedy little affairs. I would never do that to you, if you live for a thousand years, you'll never find anyone who loves you more than me."
Gail Hillman: "You’re twisted. You're Norman Bates with a briefcase. "
|February 2003 episodes|
| Sun 2nd • Mon 3rd (1 2) • Wed 5th • Fri 7th • Sun 9th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Fri 14th
Sun 16th • Mon 17th (1 2) • Wed 19th • Fri 21st • Sun 23rd • Mon 24th (1 2) • Wed 26th • Fri 28th