Sandra has spent the evening working on a new hair-do for Dennis's benefit. Len, Albert, Stan and Charlie plan to go fishing at the canal. Albert doesn't think they'll catch anything there but is outvoted. Minnie feels lonely with Ena still in America. A tramp asks after Albert at the Laundryer. Elsie fears he's after money and fobs him off. Sandra fantasises about Dennis coming into the shop and seeing her in a new light. Dennis does arrive but doesn't clock her hair until he's about to leave. He doesn't compliment her and only critiques her efforts from a hairdresser's perspective. Annie invites Minnie to Sunday lunch to lift her spirits. Irma is annoyed when David has tea with the Barlows rather than her and Hilda. The men don't catch anything and fall asleep by the canal. Charlie falls in and has to pull himself out when they sit there laughing instead of helping him. Jack tells the tramp where Albert lives when he enquires at the Rovers. Annie tells him that Albert spends most of his time at his daughter's in order to put him off. The tramp looks for Albert at the shop when he gets no response at No.1. Lionel gets rid of him as fast as possible as he smells bad. David assures Irma that he enjoys spending time with her. Lucille looks forward to starting work and having money of her own. Annie warns Albert about the tramp. He discovers the man is an old friend, Ted Bates, and hopes he finds him soon.
- Lionel Petty - Edward Evans
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Charlie Moffitt - Gordon Rollings
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Sandra Petty - Heather Moore
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Weatherfield Canal
- This episode carries no cast credits, only production credits.
- The scenes where Len Fairclough, Albert Tatlock, Stan Ogden and Charlie Moffitt go fishing at Weatherfield Canal was OB recorded on location on the River Irwell, at its confluence with the western end of the Manchester and Salford Junction Canal which ran under Granada Television's Quay Street studios. In a May 1977 interview on the Border Television programme Look Who's Talking, Peter Adamson remembered the recording and told how the river's warden walked into shot, demanding to see the actor's fishing licences and refused to move on. The floor manager had no choice but to go off and obtain a licence for each of them in order that recording could continue, but delaying shooting by an hour.
- TV Times: No synopsis appeared in the magazine between Episode 470 (14th June 1965) and Episode 499 (22nd September 1965).
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,850,000 homes (1st place).
Minnie Caldwell: "The sea's miles away, only this canal that you're going to is only just round the corner. Oh, I could never bring meself to eat the poor little fish you catch from there. Why, it would be like eating yer neighbours."
|August 1965 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →