Emily tries to comfort the twins and rings for an ambulance. She raises the alarm and breaks down when Ken feels Judy's pulse and realises she's dead. Sharon comes round after taking some pills and is filled with self-disgust at trying to kill herself. Natalie goes to the wedding to bring Gary back home, saying Judy is ill. He is concerned and rushes home only to discover she's dead. He embraces her body and cries over her, not believing she's dead. Rita discovers Sharon's flat full of pills and drink. Sharon tells her she's sunk as low as she can get and couldn't even do a proper job of suicide. Gary breaks down, remembering Judy is the only woman he's ever loved. He doesn't understand why she died.
- Judy Mallett - Gaynor Faye
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Billy Mallett - Lewis Ablett
- Becky Mallett - Megan Foster
- Gary Mallett - Ian Mercer
- Maud Grimes - Elizabeth Bradley
- Ashley Peacock - Steven Arnold
- Maxine Peacock - Tracy Shaw
- Tom Ferguson - Tom Wisdom
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Natalie Barnes - Denise Welch
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Vinny Sorrell - James Gaddas
- Sharon Gaskell - Tracie Bennett
- Jim McDonald - Charles Lawson
- Doreen Heavey - Prunella Gee
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Gail Platt - Helen Worth
- Toyah Battersby - Georgia Taylor
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Spider Nugent - Martin Hancock
- Hayley Cropper - Julie Hesmondhalgh
- Rita Sullivan - Barbara Knox
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Danny Hargreaves - Richard Standing
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Melanie Tindel - Nicola Wheeler
- Kathleen Gutteridge - Elizabeth Rider
- Beryl Peacock - Anny Tobin
- Derek Heavey - Richard Albrecht
- Uncle Mervin - Keith Marsh
- Paramedic - Justin Burrows
- Police Surgeon - Brian Hallett
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen, hallway and yard
- 12 Coronation Street - Living room
- Wedding reception venue - Function room and bridal suite
- Final appearance of Gaynor Faye as Judy Mallett.
- The end credits to this episode were played with no theme music.
- TV Times synopsis: When Gary suffers a devastating loss, the word soon spreads around the Street; and Rita is disgusted to find Sharon wallowing in self-pity.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 17,350,000 viewers (1st place - combined figure including repeat).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1990-1999, released on 5th September 2011.
|September 1999 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Fri 3rd • Sun 5th • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Fri 10th
Sun 12th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Fri 17th • Sun 19th • Mon 20th
Wed 22nd • Fri 24th • Sun 26th • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →