Still at Oulton Park, Dennis's "friends" bleed him dry. David asks Irma out to his favourite jazz club. Irma feels out of place there so they move on after an hour. Dennis namedrops David to impress the group but only Caroline is familiar with him, from the bribe scandal. They all decide to head off to a party before the last race and tell Dennis it's by invitation only so he can't go with them. Rupert Andrews makes up directions to the nearest bus stop as Dennis heads back to Weatherfield. Len decides not to contact Jerry in Blackburn. Elsie upsets Emily by suggesting that she takes her shop work so seriously because it's all she has in her life. Dennis arrives home penniless but is too proud to admit that his friends are taking him for a fool, telling Elsie that he refused their offer of a lift home. Jack agrees to swap Charlie's £20 in loose change for notes after a long day's collecting. He puts the notes in a cigarette packet. The brewery asks the Walkers if they'll be requiring holiday cover this year. Annie longs to go abroad but Jack prefers local. Lucille feels she has seen the last of Roger Wain because of the class difference. Len confides in Dennis that as a lad he fell in with the same sort of crowd and ended up fighting with them. Dennis realises he's been foolish. Hilda asks Annie for an advance on her wages. Annie considers it only if it's an emergency. Immediately after their conversation, Hilda finds Charlie's cigarette packet on the bar with the wad of cash stuffed inside.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell (Uncredited)
- Caroline Critchley - Amanda Reiss
- Jane Maxwell - Bonnie Hurren
- Michael Grafton - Stephen Yardley
- Rupert Andrews - Simon Gough
- Daniel Palmer - Neil Stacey (Credited as "Neil Stacy")
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Oulton Park - Bar and car park
- The external scenes at Oulton Park were OB recorded in the car park of Granada Television's Quay Street studios with a large backdrop representing some of the buildings of the facility.
- This was the final episode to feature a standardised cast list for the regular characters, which was first used in Episode 172 (6th August 1962). This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Ena Sharples (Violet Carson), Minnie Caldwell (Margot Bryant), Albert Tatlock (Jack Howarth), Kenneth Barlow (William Roache), Valerie Barlow (Anne Reid), and Charlie Moffitt (Gordon Rollings).
- TV Times: No synopsis appeared in the magazine for either this or the previous episode.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,660,000 homes (2nd place)
|May 1965 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st →