Elsie is amazed when Dennis gets up at 8.30am on a Sunday to go to Oulton Park. Dennis is certain that Caroline Critchley fancies him. Elsie thinks she must be kinky. Stan doesn't return from London with Albert and Charlie. The men tell Hilda they lost him in Soho. Stan arrives, having missed his train and hitched a ride home. He tells Hilda he went to a club with some Liverpool supporters and lost track of time. Hilda finds a card from a strip club in his possessions. Lucille's sixteenth birthday arrives and the Walkers ask her to call them Auntie and Uncle. Lucille receives French bath salts from Annie and a dressing table from Harry and Concepta. Dennis wears a bowtie and trilby and borrows a shooting stick for the day. David's leg is better but he still feels he's missed his chance to be snapped up by a big team and would be better going back to engineering. Dennis is dismissive of the class difference when Elsie expresses concern about his new "friends". Len returns to discover Jerry has left. Caroline picks Dennis up in her sports car. Dennis buys the first round of drinks to impress the group. Norman is still writing to Florrie from Iceland. Emily buys Lucille lace hankerchiefs. Jack drops a crate of beer on the cake Florrie has brought for Lucille's birthday. The Cheshire set amuse themselves with Dennis. Rupert Andrews offers to sell Dennis his sports car for £500 to see what he says. Caroline pretends to lose his shooting stick for a laugh. Florrie replaces the cake. Lucille blows out the candles and wishes that the Hewitts would return. The set get Dennis to buy all the drinks, knowing he won't refuse.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell (Uncredited)
- Caroline Critchley - Amanda Reiss
- Jane Maxwell - Bonnie Hurren
- Michael Grafton - Stephen Yardley
- Rupert Andrews - Simon Gough
- Daniel Palmer - Neil Stacey (Credited as "Neil Stacy")
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, hallway and back room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Oulton Park - Car park and bar
- Howard Baker, a director on the programme since 1961, began an eight-month stint as producer, with a gap between Episode 482 (26th July 1965) and Episode 491 (25th August 1965).
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Ena Sharples (Violet Carson), Minnie Caldwell (Margot Bryant), Albert Tatlock (Jack Howarth), Kenneth Barlow (William Roache), Valerie Barlow (Anne Reid), and Charlie Moffitt (Gordon Rollings).
- TV Times: No synopsis appeared in the magazine for either this or the next episode.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,800,000 homes (1st place)
|May 1965 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st →