Liz celebrates her fortieth birthday with the rest of the family. Jim buys her a silver pendant, the boys a £100 gift voucher. Maxine is put out when Fiona refuses to let her do her hair on her wedding day and books into an expensive salon. When Betty fails to turn in for work, Alec writes her a short note telling her that she's sacked and forces Jack and Vera to sign it before putting it through her letterbox. Natalie gets her niece Lorraine Horrocks to look over the computer spreadsheets for her. She finds Chris attractive. Deirdre gives Jon a £5,000 cheque for the deposit on the house. Alec and the Duckworths are horrified when a distraught Betty rings to say Billy's died of a heart attack. Vera comforts her whilst Alec retrieves the letter from her house. Natalie invites Chris for dinner and tries to matchmake between him and Lorraine. Chris is embarrassed as Lorraine throws herself at him. Jim feels uncomfortable as Liz throws herself into their relationship. Jon tells Deirdre they may have lost the house and tells her that he'll keep the money in his bank account until they find another house. When Linda finds the money in their account he tells her that it's his bonus and it's for them both to spend.
- Liz McDonald - Beverley Callard
- Andy McDonald - Nicholas Cochrane
- Steve McDonald - Simon Gregson
- Jim McDonald - Charles Lawson
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Fiona Middleton - Angela Griffin
- Maxine Heavey - Tracy Shaw
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Natalie Horrocks - Denise Welch
- Chris Collins - Matthew Marsden
- Lorraine Horrocks - Holly Newman
- Ashley Peacock - Steven Arnold
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Deirdre Rachid - Anne Kirkbride
- Alan McKenna - Glenn Hugill
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Gail Platt - Helen Worth
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Front room
- Coronation Street Garage
- Hair by Fiona Middleton
- 17a Victoria Street - Living room/kitchen
- Natalie Horrocks's house - Living room, dining room and hallway
- 15 Oakside Road, Oakhill - Kitchen
- First appearance of Lorraine Brownlow, initially credited as "Lorraine Horrocks".
- Rosie Webster (Emma Collinge) and Sophie Webster (Emma Woodward) are credited but do not appear. Their off-screen presence is suggested by generic "playing children" noises during a scene in No.13's front room.
- Vera Duckworth mentions Betty Williams being mugged and hospitalised with a broken arm, referencing the events of Episode 2200 (3rd May 1982) and Episode 2201 (5th May 1982).
- TV Times synopsis: There's shocking news for the team at the Rovers - and Alec in particular. Natalie introduces Chris to her sexy niece Lorraine.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 17,710,000 viewers (1st place - combined figure including repeat).
|November 1997 episodes|
|← Sun 2nd • Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Fri 7th • Sun 9th • Mon 10th
Wed 12th • Fri 14th • Sun 16th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Fri 21st
Sun 23rd • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Fri 28th • Sun 30th →