Fred locks himself away from the neighbours. Mavis and Rita fall out over Mavis' leaving party, with Rita annoyed by the way she worries about the arrangements. Ashley and Maud worry about Fred, shut away and drinking. Maud tells him it's as bad for her as it is for him. Mike waits after work for a delivery and is taken by surprise by Don who hits him over the head. He ties Mike up so he only has the use of one leg and tells him there's no delivery; it was him who set it up. Mavis' friends gather for her farewell party and feel uncomfortable as she and Rita bicker at each other all evening. Percy tells Ken he's worried about Emily being a secret drinker as he keeps finding empty bottles in the house. Don tells Mike he intends to kill him but wants to hear him beg first. Mike refuses to give him the satisfaction. When she's presented with a photograph of herself with Rita from the 1970s, Mavis remembers all the happy times they've shared. They apologise to each other and are reconciled. Don goes to club Mike to death but Angie sees him and throws her bag at him. Don escapes and Mike hobbles after him in time to see him drive the MG straight at him. Mike dives out of the way and the car smashes into the viaduct wall. It explodes in flames with Don inside.
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Angie Freeman - Deborah McAndrew
- Maud Grimes - Elizabeth Bradley
- Ashley Peacock - Steven Arnold
- Leanne Battersby - Jane Danson
- Toyah Battersby - Georgia Taylor
- Chris Collins - Matthew Marsden
- Alma Baldwin - Amanda Barrie
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Rita Sullivan - Barbara Knox
- Deirdre Rachid - Anne Kirkbride
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Don Brennan - Geoff Hinsliff
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Betty Williams - Betty Driver
- Coronation Street exterior
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 4 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 10a Coronation Street - Living room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- Underworld - Factory floor and office
- No. 4 Montreal House, Weatherfield Quays - Living room/kitchen
- Final appearance of Geoff Hinsliff as Don Brennan
- Roy Alon was credited as the Stunt Co-ordinator on this episode.
- TV Times synopsis: Mike and Don face each other in the factory - and only one can leave alive. Mavis’s leaving party brings old friends together.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 17,350,000 viewers (1st place - combined figure including repeat).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1990-1999, released on 5th September 2011.
|October 1997 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Fri 3rd • Sun 5th • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Fri 10th • Sun 12th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th
Fri 17th • Sun 19th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Fri 24th • Sun 26th • Mon 27th • Wed 29th • Fri 31st