Stan collects paper from Val as part of his business. She has heard about Hilda's fortune-telling and asks if she will do the same for her. David apologises to Stan for leaving him and Hilda in the kitchen. Val tells David she thinks his poorly leg is an act he's putting on. Not approving of the relationship, Ken can't bring himself to ask Irma if she and his brother are serious. Hilda helps Irma in the corner shop as Florrie is ill. Elsie is also interested in Hilda's fortune-telling. Hilda is offended when Ena sneers it's for weak-minded folk. Val tells Ken she's sure something is the matter with David. Albert is tired after pushing a handcart collecting paper for the business. Hilda agrees to do a reading for Val. Ken says the whole thing is a joke. Jack and Annie plan for the Rovers' New Year's Eve. Behind Ken's back, Val goes to No.13 for a reading of the cards. Elsie and Ena join in, though neither is pleased to see the other there. Ken tells David he could better than Irma. Stan, Charlie and Albert disturb the reading when they bring masses of paper and card into the house. Hilda deduces from the cards that Val is going to have twins. She also predicts that something has been going on which is going to give her a turn when she finds out about it. Ena and Elsie get cold feet about having their future read. Val is honest with Ken about the reading. They receive a phone call from a reporter wanting to speak to David. Val worries what it could be about. Ena shows Annie a letter she's received a letter from landlord Edward Wormold asking her to see him. Ken goes to fetch David from the Rovers only to find he's already gone out on the town. Len brings the evening paper in which carries the story that David has been suspended, suspected of taking a bribe. When Len intimates that it runs in the family, Ken punches him to the ground.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Charlie Moffitt - Gordon Rollings (Credited as "Charlie Moffit")
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Minnie Caldwell (Margot Bryant), Lucille Hewitt (Jennifer Moss), Florrie Lindley (Betty Alberge) and Miss Nugent (Eileen Derbyshire).
- TV Times synopsis: A 'reading' at No. 13 and a shock for the Barlows in the Rovers Return
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,820,000 homes (1st place).
|December 1964 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th
Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →