Jack takes the call from Mr Braithwaite, telling where Annie can be found. Ena calls into the Rovers to take Lucille through her panto songs on the pub's new piano. An unconcerned Jack tells Billy where his mother is and refuses to let his son go and fetch her, saying he'll throw him out if he does. Jack is at the end of his tether with his wife's behaviour. Ena gets impatient with Lucille's lack of concentration but she eventually improves. Ena overhears Billy shouting at Jack to go to the hotel and resolves to take action herself. She borrows sixpence from Minnie to take the bus. Stan has begun his job as Santa Claus. Annie is surprised when Ena turns up at the hotel and introduces her to Mr Braithwaite. He leaves her and Annie to talk. Annie admits she's lonely and Ena tells her to return, saying Jack is in a pitiful state and drinking too much as he misses so much. She isn't impressed by Annie's dramatic plea that she'll spend a life living in poverty separated from her husband and tells her she shouldn't be so sure of her facts. Billy decides to ignore his father's order but before he can set out Ena comes into the pub, telling him to go to the vestry and help his mother with her cases. Wealthy local butcher Willie Piggott visits the street to the residents' surprise. Charlie is mimicking a striptease act in the public when Annie walks in. She insists she's only come back to collect her things. Billy tells Annie he was sacked from the garage after punching a customer. He got a lower-paid job in a cafe and that Jack has been paying his rent - to Mrs. Nicholls. Annie is angry with Billy and is forced to apologise to Jack. Piggott finds out from Albert where Ken lives. Billy returns to London after chatting up Irma. Piggott goes to No.9 where he thrusts £100 into Ken's hand to ensure his son Brian passes his tech exam. He leaves quickly before Ken can return the bribe.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Charlie Moffitt - Gordon Rollings (Credited as "Charlie Moffit")
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Egremont Hotel - Television room and hallway
- Last appearance of Billy Walker until 1st January 1969.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Miss Nugent (Eileen Derbyshire) and Len Fairclough (Peter Adamson) were credited but did not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Ena acts as mediator and Annie learns the truth
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 9,210,000 homes (joint 1st place with 7th December 1964).
|December 1964 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th
Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →