Florrie wonders if Annie has had a breakdown. Ena scoffs at her suggestion that she's gone off with Arthur Forsyth-Jones. Dennis pushes a busy Len to fix the broken ceiling before Elsie returns. The bank rings Jack, giving him the information that Annie requested about the cheques. Ken and Val tell Charlie to fix the hole in the ceiling, refusing to pay for it themselves. Dennis suddenly agrees to pay the cost when Charlie subtly blackmails him about seeing Rita in the bed. Lucille takes over the cooking duties at the Rovers. Jack appreciates her efforts. Billy Walker arrives suddenly to find out the truth over Annie. Jack tells him that the cheques to Mrs. Nicholls are the cause. Annie is staying in the Egremont Hotel under her maiden name. Worried about her solitude, fellow guest Mr Braithwaite tries to engage her in conversation. Manageress Mrs Nelson is sure she's met Annie before. Dennis misses rehearsals for the panto as he waits Len arriving to carry out the repairs. Jack refuses to chase Annie anymore, knowing full well her usual tricks. Billy is astonished to meet Irma and grows suspicious when she tells him that Jack took her on. Stan gets a job at Shuttleworth's as Santa Claus and can't make the panto rehearsals. Elsie returns early. Len and Dennis try to prevent her going upstairs but she gets past them. When she comes back down, they don't realise that she didn't spot the hole and blurt out the confused story about Rita. She demands the truth about what's been going on from them. At Charlie's suggestion, Stan persuades Albert into taking over his part in the panto. Annie enjoys chatting to Mr Braithwaite. Jack tells Billy that wherever she is, Annie is enjoying her play-acting. At that moment, Annie breaks down in the hotel so that Mr Braithwaite, will phone Jack and tell him where she is. She listens eagerly through the open door as he makes the call on the hallway phone.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Charlie Moffitt - Gordon Rollings (Credited as "Charlie Moffit")
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Mr Braithwaite - Noel Johnson
- Hotel Manageress - Thelma Falls-Hand (Credited as "Thelma Falls Hand")
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Egremont Hotel - Television room and hallway
- First appearance of Billy Walker since 25th December 1963.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Eileen Derbyshire as Miss Nugent was credited but did not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: In which Dennis and Annie let their respective cats out of the bag
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 9,210,000 homes (joint 1st place with 9th December 1964).
|December 1964 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th
Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →