Jack polishes up the piano in the select, having already sent off the application for a music licence. Annie thinks the idea is a bad one as no one will play the instrument properly. Lucille has bought some expensive perfume for Jack to give to Annie as a belated anniversary present. Ena visits Len to collect in any washing he needs doing at the launderette. He is feeling guilty about the way he treated Nellie. Ena tells him he's not able enough to bring up Stanley and the lad's better off with Harry. Annie is delighted with the perfume and forgives Jack. She asks him to refrain from being drunk again, and is swiftly reminded of her own recent revelries with Ena. Dennis receives a letter saying he's passed his styling exams. Elsie is delighted. Ena meets Minnie and Val at the launderette. Minnie is puzzled as to why she's brought in men's clothes. Emily tries to question the customers for her sociological report. One of them, Sam, thinks she's doing a marketing survey for soap and she'll be sending him free samples. Len asks Elsie to marry him and be Stanley's mother. She laughs uproariously and he runs out of the house in embarrassment. Jack, Ken and Stan go over the results of their investigations, discussing what sort of music would go down well. Val tells Ken that Len is looking for him. Elsie realises from Irma's comments that Dennis is telling the truth and doesn't know the author of his letter. Ken advises Len that taking Stanley back is no guarantee that he'd be doing the right thing for the boy's future. Annie assures Ena that prices won't go up because music is being introduced. Sam sees Emily in the Rovers and he reminds her about his free samples. An excited Lucille returns from a trip to the bowling alley and asks if she can be Dennis's bridesmaid, having met his fiancée, Sandra, there. More puzzled than ever, he denies knowing anyone of that name.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Sam - Jack Grieve
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug and select
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 15 Mawdsley Street - Back room
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Albert Tatlock (Jack Howarth), Florrie Lindley (Betty Alberge), Charlie Moffitt (Gordon Rollings) and Hilda Ogden (Jean Alexander).
- TV Times synopsis: Len tries to solve his problem and Dennis finds a partial answer to his
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 9,315,000 homes (1st place).
|October 1964 episodes|
|← Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th
Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th →