Elsie returns from a short trip to Blackpool having watched the croupier tables there and had her hair done. Dennis is stressed about the Viaduct Sporting Club opening. Elsie is annoyed when Laurie doesn't notice her hair. Myra wants to go to the club opening but Jerry refuses as he wants to do nothing for Easter Monday. Ken asks Jerry to put up some shelves but he lends him his tools to do the job himself. Ena and Minnie drop hints to Annie that Martha won't be returning from London but marrying Ted Ashley and going to Australia. Martha returns alone from London and hides at home. Laurie insists she turns up at the club to clean it tomorrow. Gus tells Dennis to bring the stock of drinks in from the delivery van. Jack is annoyed to hear that the club will be serving the first drink free on its opening night. Len has caught a cold after the run. Laurie is horrified as the ceiling in the bar collapses and threatens to sue Len as the opening will have to be postponed but then discovers that Gus used the room above as a liquor store, thus causing the collapse. Gus apologises to a smug Len who tells him the fix is a twenty-four hour job. Jerry refuses to join Len in starting the job until Myra forces him. Elsie is annoyed at the postponement. Annie spreads the news of Martha's marriage but Frank tells everyone he saw her returning home earlier in the day. Ena refuses to go and see her. Len is angry when a riled Jerry tells him he threw the race. Annoyed at Laurie's low offer of pay, Len and Jerry drop a load of plaster from the ceiling on him.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Myra Booth - Susan Jameson
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 7 Mawdsley Street - Downstairs room
- Viaduct Sporting Club - Bar
- The programme title is displayed over the photocaption of Ordsall's terraced rooftops used mainly for the closing credits.
- This episode carries no cast credits, only production credits.
- TV Times synopsis: Ena deputises for Martha; and Len and Jerry have a busy night
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,125,000 homes (2nd place). This somewhat low figure in comparison to surrounding episodes is explained by this edition being transmitted on Easter Monday - a public holiday.
|March 1964 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th
Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →