Derek is enthusiastic about buying The Kabin off Rita. Mavis isn't sure she'll want to sell. Derek suggests they invite her to dinner that night, soften her up, and gently broach the subject. Sally tells Gail the problems that Kevin is now having from Mike and she apologises for telling Alma. Vera looks forward to Terry and Lisa's visit but Jack is far less enthusiastic at the thought. Vera threatens him again to behave. Ken's back is still tender, but he ploughs on. Sally in thrilled when Kevin buys a double-buggy for her from a friend and they are reconciled. Mavis invites Rita to dinner, supposedly to cheer her up. Rita tells her how she envies Derek's free time. Mrs Jeffers tries to persuade Ken to go off sick but he refuses. Alma receives the cafe valuation and is upset as it is so low. Gail tells her that after buying her out and solicitor's fees she'll have nothing left. She suggests to Gail that she could move out and leave her to run the business as part of a rental agreement. Gail is furious that Alma would let her look after the place single-handed and the two start bickering in front of the customers. Mavis looks over adverts for properties in the country. Rita likes them, not realising that the search is being done on her behalf. Tracy worries about her dad's health. Martin tries to calm Gail down when she rants at him about Alma's plans. She plans to quit herself if Alma leaves. Raquel has a modelling assignment for tomorrow and asks Des to think of a way of getting her out of her Rovers' shift. Derek is on pins as the dinner appointment nears with a special meal cooked. Alma apologises to Kevin for getting into trouble with Mike. Ivy counsels Vera not to get too enthusiastic about Terry's supposed change of fortunes. Rita enjoys the meal. The Wiltons try to broach the subject of retirement to her but she surprises them by telling them they should be the ones to retire. Rita is outraged when Derek suggests he buys The Kabin from her and angrily realises they've tried to set her up. She storms out, telling Mavis she's sacked.
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Gail Platt - Helen Worth
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Sarah Louise Platt - Lynsay King
- David Platt - Thomas Ormson
- Rosie Webster - Emma Collinge
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Alma Sedgewick - Amanda Barrie
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Tracy Barlow - Dawn Acton
- Ivy Brennan - Lynne Perrie
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Angie Freeman - Deborah McAndrew
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Des Barnes - Philip Middlemiss
- Raquel Wolstenhulme - Sarah Lancashire
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 4 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 8 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin - Shop and stockroom
- MVB Motors
- Jim's Cafe
- Weatherfield Comprehensive - Corridor, stairway and classroom
- On the day that this episode was broadcast David Plowright, the greatly-admired Chairman of Granada Television, was sacked from his post by the newly appointed chairman of the Granada group Gerry Robinson. His dismissal caused an outcry in the television and entertainment industry (with John Cleese famously faxing Robinson a letter which told him to "f*** off out of it you ignorant upstart caterer"). As a gesture of solidarity, Granada staff transmitted all of their programmes that evening with amended credits which showed Plowright as producer. Coronation Street was no exception and therefore for this episode, in name only, Plowright replaced Carolyn Reynolds in that role.
- Ivy Brennan mentions Terry Duckworth splitting up Pete and Linda Jackson's marriage, a storyline that began in Episode 2720 (27th April 1987), and his fling with Kathy Pritchard in Mike Baldwin's Jaguar, which occured in Episode 2884 (21st November 1988).
- TV Times synopsis: Will Rita agree to retire and sell the Kabin? Alma Sedgewick announces new plans for the future of the café.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 20,350,000 viewers (3rd place).
|February 1992 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Fri 7th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Fri 14th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Fri 21st • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Fri 28th →