Martin decides not to bother with the adoption; the age difference and his unemployment will count against him and he doesn't want to disappoint the kids. Curly goes into work early to retrieve the docket but is too late as the auditor has already arrived. Phyllis thinks that Steph was never good enough for Des. Curly asks Reg to countersign the docket but Reg refuses to intervene. Gail feels bad about Martin dropping the adoption. The auditor sees the docket and reports the matter to Head Office. Gail's solicitor confirms that Martin's circumstances would make it difficult for him to adopt the children. Alma tries to rid her of the notion that marrying Martin is a risk. Steve doesn't want to return to school. Jim kids Mavis that Des will be having raucous parties at No.6 now that he's single. Reg promises to put in a good word for Curly at Head Office. Angie thinks that Curly was mad to put his job on the line. Alma and Audrey have their first lesson in conversational Spanish. They're bewildered by the tutor, Senora Robinson, who speaks only in Spanish. Des decides to sell up and leave Weatherfield. Reg tells Curly he can't help him as Brendan Scott is leading the investigation. Gail realises she's been selfish, she goes on one knee and proposes to Martin. He's ecstatic.
- Des Barnes - Philip Middlemiss
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Angie Freeman - Deborah McAndrew
- Jim McDonald - Charles Lawson
- Liz McDonald - Beverley Callard
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Alma Sedgewick - Amanda Barrie
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Reg Holdsworth - Ken Morley
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Nicky Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 7 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Corner Shop
- Jim's Cafe
- 33 Hammond Road - Living room
- Bettabuy - Shop floor, accounts and manager's office
- Weatherfield Comprehensive - Corridor and classroom
- David Tilsley (Thomas Ormson) is credited but does not appear.
- Mr Hardiman, the Bettabuy auditor, is uncredited despite having lines of dialogue.
- TV Times synopsis: Gail takes matters into her own hands when Martin proves his persistence. Will Reg stand by and see Curly go under?
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 14,690,000 viewers (6th place - combined figure including repeat).
- The Granada Plus repeat of this episode on 28th April 2003 was edited down for timing reasons omitting a scene of length 44" where Des Barnes sets off late to work, having overslept.
Alma Sedgewick: “I reckon it puts men off, if you're too strong-willed. A lot of strong women end up on their own.”
|September 1991 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Fri 6th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Fri 13th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Fri 20th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Fri 27th • Mon 30th →