Sally gathers bits of furniture together from friends and neighbours. Hilda gives her a bed. Terry tells Linda Jackson that he realises she doesn't like him but she's got him wrong; he just wants to help Pete out. Audrey begins to like canvassing for Alf when the male householders chat her up. Terry invites the Jacksons out for the day. They agree to go to Blackpool. Deirdre campaigns for a crossing on Rosamund Street. Hilda helps the Websters move into the flat. They are furious when Terry takes the van to Blackpool so they can't pick up their furniture from an elderly lady. Deirdre is upset when Gary Willis is knocked down on Rosamund Street, it doesn't make her feel any better that she's been proved right. Ken advises her to turn the accident to her advantage and use the issue to win the election. Then she can get a crossing before there's another accident. Tom Hopwood comes to the Websters' aid and picks up the furniture in his van. Mrs Willis calls on Deirdre and tells her that Gary's leg is broken and she will be voting for her as she knows she is campaigning for a crossing. Terry and the Jacksons have a great time. Audrey tells Alf he'll regret letting the flat to the Websters; they're too irresponsible.
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Susan Baldwin - Wendy Jane Walker (Credited as "Susan Barlow")
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Jenny Bradley - Sally Ann Matthews
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Gloria Todd - Sue Jenkins
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Linda Jackson - Kazia Pelka
- Pete Jackson - Ian Mercer
- Tom Hopwood - Len Marten
- Mrs Denton - Josie Johnson
- Male Voter - John Carr
- Mr Rogers - Ced Beaumont
- Mrs Willis - Anita Parry
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street - Living room
- Pete Jackson's house, Edward Street - Living room, kitchen and hallway
- Unknown streets in Weatherfield
- Mrs Martin, who was doorstep canvassed by Deirdre Barlow was uncredited, despite lines of dialogue.
- Ian Mercer makes one of several pre-Gary Mallett appearances as Pete Jackson.
- TV Times synopsis: As Deirdre steps up her election campaign, the Day of Independence dawns for Kevin and Sally.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 11,900,000 viewers (6th place). This was the lowest-rated episode of the year.
|May 1987 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|