Sheila is fed up as Jerry never takes her out. Len and Jerry finish up at Frank's shop. Harry has an interview for a sales job. Albert accidentally grows parsley instead of onions at his allotment and gives them out to everyone to get rid of them. Christine makes it clear to Elsie that she doesn't like her taking personal calls at work. She overhears Elsie complaining about her on the phone to Len. As he admires his new shop front, Frank is confident that the opening will draw a crowd. The residents are worried for him as the shop is in a bad location. Florrie sorts out the refreshments for the opening. Len gets a letter from Stanley and is upset that Stanley doesn't seem bothered about seeing him. Elsie takes the day off work to go to the opening, without clearing it with Christine. Len and Esther are Frank's first customers. Len brings a crate of ale. Albert wears a three piece suit and bowler hat to attend the grand opening, while Emily buys a business suit from Miami Modes for the occasion and wishes Frank well on behalf of Mr. Papagopolous. Concepta holds the fort at the Rovers so that Annie and Jack can go. Ena has forbade Minnie and Martha from attending but they disobey her. They're horrified when Ena herself turns up. Christine writes to Frank to wish him well. There's a raffle at the opening and Minnie wins an electric drill. Harry doesn't get the sales job. As he leaves the shop, Len bumps into David Barlow.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Christine Appleby - Christine Hargreaves
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Victoria Street
- Frank's DIY Shop
- Miami Modes - Better Dress Salon
- First appearance of David Barlow since 28th June 1961.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Lucille Hewitt (Jennifer Moss) and Doreen Lostock (Angela Crow). Also, a customer at Miami Modes is uncredited despite having dialogue.
- TV Times synopsis: Frank opens his shop, and Elsie prepares to put the shutters up
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,851,000 homes (1st place).
|June 1963 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th →