Rita and Emily prepare Mavis for her wedding. She is nervous about everything. With ten minutes to go before the ceremony, Mavis tells Rita that she can't marry Derek. She feels it wouldn't be right; she's always known she couldn't. She always meant to turn him down but didn't want to hurt his feelings. Rita tries to talk her round but she is adamant she's not right for Derek. Rita and Alf go to the church to tell Derek only to find he's not there either. His best man, Carl Stanton, tells them that Derek can't go through with the wedding. Whilst Rita starts rowing with Edith Wilton over who jilted who, Alf has to break the news to Reverend Unsworth. Mavis disappears leaving a note saying that she's going away; she can't face anyone.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten (Uncredited)
- Carl Stanton - Martyn Read
- Sally Waterman - Vikki Chambers
- Edith Wilton - Thelma Whiteley
- Reverend Unsworth - Terry Gilligan
- Photographer - Ron Webster
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 7 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- All Saints Church - Interior and exterior
- TV Times synopsis: Everyone gathers at All Saints church to see Mavis Riley, spinster of the parish of Weatherfield, plight her troth to Derek Wilton.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 17,000,000 viewers (2nd place).
- This episode was included on the Granada and Windsong Video Coronation Street 1984 released on 5th November 1990.
|September 1984 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th →