Elsie rows with Martin for getting Karen drunk. Bet is distraught that her only picture of Martin Downes has been taken. The Swains return from their honeymoon on the Isle of Wight. Arnold carries Emily over the threshold at Eddie's prompting. He tells Emily he'd like to sell No.3 and buy a country cottage. Annie offers Bet some of her clothes. Karen has her first hangover. She tells Elsie that her father has told her not to see Martin again. Bet is horrified when Annie gives her her old gowns. Elsie rows with Deirdre for selling Martin cider as he's underage. Deirdre tells her that he told her it was for his grandmother. Arnold starts to show signs of impatience with Emily's neighbours. Ken organises a whip-round at the Rovers for Bet. Bet wears Annie's dress back to front, the plunging back is turned into a V-neckline to her waist. Elsie tells Martin what Karen told her and he vows not to let Oldfield stop him.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Martin Cheveski - Jonathan Caplan
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Arnold Swain - George Waring
- Emily Swain - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Ludlow Avenue - Communal hallway and Bet's bedsit
- TV Times synopsis: Who will rally to Bet's aid after the break-in at her bed-sit? Elsie's grandson Martin gets some bad news from her about the future of his romance.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,600,000 viewers (7th place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
Bet Lynch: "I'm sorry I'm late, Mrs Walker."
Annie Walker: "Good heavens!"
Eddie Yeats: "Cor!"
Mike Baldwin: "Cor blimey!"
Ken Barlow: "That is a sensational dress, Bet."
Alf Roberts: "I never knew that you had any dresses like that, Annie."
Annie Walker: "Bet, you've got it on back to front!"
|September 1980 episodes|
|← Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th
Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th →