The men return at 7.00am after spending the night with fifteen women at 32 Bessie Street. They go for an early morning "hair of the dog" in the Rovers and decide to tell everyone Alf tripped and fell and they all took him to hospital. As soon as they see their wives they crack and tell the truth. Ken lectures Susan about bringing Roy Stevenson back home. Elsie runs short of money. Fred tells Annie about Alf going to hospital and is annoyed that the others have confessed. Annie finds out the truth when she rings the hospital and pleases the women by presenting their husbands with a bill for their wives' drinks and refuses Fred his request for a night off. Rita is tired of living in what she considers a dump. Elsie considers asking Mike for the supervisor's job now Steve Fisher has left. Susan asks Ken if he intends to marry Deirdre. Annie tells Ivy that Elsie intends to ask for her job back at the factory. Ivy is livid.
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- 5 Coronation Street - Yard
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The milkman who greets Len Fairclough is uncredited.
- Last appearance of Susan Barlow until 7th April 1980.
- TV Times synopsis: The regulars at the Rovers Return have plenty of explaining to do, following their night on the tiles. Will their carefully-concocted fairy tale be swallowed?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 18,500,000 viewers (2nd place).
Rita Fairclough (shouting at Len): "Tommy Cooper couldn't tell a story as daft as that! Did you listen to what you were saying?! Already it's only the first of January and you're the champion liar of 1980!"
|January 1980 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th
Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →