Gail isn't looking forward to her 21st as she feels she can't celebrate the engagement. Hilda treats the hens like pets but Stan feels they're taking over the house. Suzie feels sorry for Gail who wants approval from her mum. Mavis cooks boeuf bourguignon for Derek. Gail is thrilled when Brian suggests they throw an engagement party on her birthday - it doesn't matter what Ivy thinks. Bert is pleased that Brian is standing up to Ivy and offers to pay for the party. Brian buys Gail a ring. She keeps it on a chain round her neck until the party. Mavis is disappointed when Derek leaves early after the meal. He tells her he feels guilty about not giving the cutlery to his mother. She is outraged when he takes it back. Ivy refuses to attend the party; she'd feel like a hypocrite. Suzie tells Gail her mum is coming over for her birthday. Gail thinks it's a terrible idea and she'll ruin everything.
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and yard
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- Unnamed Jewellers
- Last appearance of Derek Wilton until 7th April 1982.
- TV Times synopsis: A cosy dinner for two with Mavis and Derek… Isn't Gail pleased that her mother is arriving?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,900,000 viewers (2nd place).
|April 1979 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →