Whilst Deirdre tries to free Tracy, the police are called for. Alf lies unconscious on the floor and Mike's leg is trapped under the timber inside the Rovers. Ken helps Deirdre from the pub - she has to crawl over the timber. Emily takes her in. Renee is shocked to see Alf unconscious but he is still breathing. Bet takes care of Mike. Ena and Emily take charge of Deirdre and try to calm her. Alf, Len and Mike are taken to hospital. The driver of the lorry is found dead and Deirdre is convinced Tracy is dead too. Annie is in shock and has to be cared for by Betty. Bet breaks down at the thought of Tracy under the timber. A piece of glass cuts Betty's arm. Ena says a special prayer for the safe return of Tracy. A fireman finds Tracy's doll but Tracy herself is not to be found under the timber. Deirdre runs away from the house before anyone can tell her this.
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Sgt. Cummings - Michael Melia
- Policeman - Paul Butterworth
- Asst. Div. Officer Scott - Tony Goodall
- Fireman Hollis - Paul Hamilton
- Ambulance Man - Antony Coupe (Credited as "Anthony Coupe")
- Fireman - Colin Sharp
- Youth - Craig Ralph
- Coronation Street - Main Street view and ginnel
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Hilda Ogden references the death of her grandson Darren Barlow in a car crash in Episode 971 (15th April 1970) when talking to Rita Fairclough, shocking her as she knew nothing of the baby's death.
- Also credited is a Woman in Street played by Pauline Jefferson who actually appears in the following episode.
- TV Times synopsis: Police and firemen race to the scene of the disaster in Coronation Street. Deirdre Langton disappears, believing her daughter, Tracy, has been killed…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 18,300,000 viewers (4th place).
- This episode was included on the Golden Anniversary DVD Collection, released by ITV Home Entertainment on 11th October 2010.
|March 1979 episodes|
|← Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th
Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th →