Suzie enjoys lounging around the house whilst Elsie and Gail have to work. Alf agrees to help Deirdre find somewhere to live. Fred asks Betty to lend him £40. She refuses. Gail rows with Suzie over her laziness. Fred manages to get the money and repays Mike. Elsie delights in telling Suzie that Brenda, her Paddington flatmate phoned wanting the £10.50 rent she owes. Alf pulls strings and gets Deirdre a flat. She's thrilled. Fred is forced to tell Betty he got the £40 from the till. She is horrified and makes him put an IOU in.
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- TV Times synopsis: Mike Baldwin is anxious to collect his winnings from yesterday's gambling. And Fred Gee has to go to desperate lengths to raise the cash. Meanwhile, Deirdre Langton gets Alf Roberts to help with her plans to leave the street.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,700,000 viewers (2nd place).
|January 1979 episodes|
|← Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st →