Karen Barnes wants the reading lessons to continue and begs Ken not to give up on her. He agrees to continue. Len feels he needs Deirdre at the yard but Rita feels they can't afford her. She accuses him of being too soft-hearted. Hilda takes up abstract painting as a hobby. Rita tells Deirdre there's no job for her at the yard. Gail feels humiliated that she was stood up by Brian Tilsley. Karen kisses Ken on the cheek in gratitude. While Ken is out Dave Barnes forces his way into No.1.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room
- Mavis Riley (Thelma Barlow) is credited but does not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Rita Fairclough clashes with Deirdre Langton over her returning to work at the yard…and Len is caught in the middle of the row. Ken Barlow continues teaching Karen Barnes how to read and write - despite warnings from her husband.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,400,000 viewers (6th place).
|January 1979 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st