Emily is upset to hear that the Langtons are emigrating; however they are looking forward to their fresh start. Mike tells Steve to entertain a buyer from Bradleys. They are both surprised when attractive Carole Gordon turns out to be the buyer. Steve takes her for lunch and falls for her, Mike tries to steal her from him but Steve insists on showing her the boutique. Blanche arrives to find out why the Langtons are emigrating. She accuses Ray of taking her grandchild away. Carole gives Steve a big order. Mike fancies Carole and hints that he would employ her. Deirdre lets Ray back into her bed as Blanche is staying.
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- Corner Shop
- Baldwin's Casuals - Wages office and corridor
- Fairclough and Langton - Office and yard
- First appearance of Blanche Hunt since 15th June 1977.
- This episode and the previous two were not transmitted by Southern Television as the station had been blacked out from 5.40pm on 27th October in a dispute with the ACTT (Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians) over a productivity claim. When the station resumed broadcasting on 7th November the station management chose not to transmit the episodes they had missed during the duration of the strike but instead to start the next episode of Coronation Street - Episode 1859 on 8th November - with a recap of the events of the missed instalments.
- TV Times synopsis: Deirdre Langton's mother turns up, intent on finding out why her daughter and son-in-law plan to emigrate. Mike Baldwin lands Steve Fisher with extra responsibility - and Steve enjoys his first assignment.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,500,000 viewers (5th place).
|November 1978 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th
Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →