Deirdre plans to get a job as a barmaid but Ray stops her. Len tells Rita he'll have to get a job on an oil rig to earn a lot of money. She is horrified and goes to see Ralph Lancaster. Emily tries to look after the children as Brenda Summers withdraws into herself. She tries to get her to talk to Ken but she refuses. Emily urges Brenda to take out a court injunction against John but she doesn't want him to go to prison. Betty calls in an emergency plumber when she has a leak and is charged £20. Alf worries that she's been conned. Len looks at the pipe and tells her it's only been patched. She is annoyed with herself. Ray suggests he and Len go into the emergency call-out game. Rita asks Ralph for a job but he tells her he's booked up. She feels past it when she sees he's got a new band in.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Anita Carey makes a pre-Joyce Smedley appearance as Brenda Summers.
- TV Times synopsis: Pushed into it by Len, Rita offers her services to the Gatsby Club - and gets an unpleasant surprise. Emily now has to cope with a battered wife's two children as well…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 11,250,000 viewers (3rd place).
|July 1978 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st →