Emily sees Ena at the hospital and worries that something is wrong. Mike brings in blacklegs to make the orders up. Steve urges him to talk to Ivy and negotiate. Ena tells Emily she's having back trouble. Fred shelves the idea of his own pub and finishes with Alma Walsh. Ray is working so hard on the hotel job that he forgets his wedding anniversary. Ivy demands Hilda takes her turn on the picket. Emily worries about Ena's back and asks Eddie to try to help her. Ena tells Eddie her bed is causing her back trouble. Hilda leaves the picket line to go to work at the Abattoir. Mike brings the blacklegs in. Muriel Clough tries to stop them but fails. The pickets smash the van up and break a window demanding that the blacklegs leave.
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Howard")
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ida Clough - Helene Palmer
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room
- Community Centre flat - Living room
- Baldwin's Casuals - Office, sewing room and loading bay
- The Kabin
- Both Sergeant Cummings (Michael Melia) and a Police Constable (Paul Ambrose) were credited but neither appeared until the next episode.
- TV Times synopsis: What will happen when boss Mike Baldwin tries to break the strike with blackleg labour? Will Eddie Yeats find out what Ena Sharples' trouble is?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 12,750,000 viewers (8th place).
|July 1978 episodes|
|← Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st →