Elsie feels old and unattractive. Len gets No.9 ready for the Barlows' return while the jobs at the vestry are dumped on Jerry. Sam takes over the cellar work at the Rovers from Jack. Ken and Val return from honeymoon. Ena likes Jerry as he's hard-working. She pumps him for information about Sam but doesn't find out anything useful. Minnie gives a kitten to Lucille. Harry goes to collect Concepta and Christopher from hospital. Jack asks Sam for his insurance card if he's stopping. Sam says it's in Newcastle and he'll have to send for them. Annie offers Concepta the benefit of her experience, against Jack's advice. Doreen and Sheila found the concert lame. Elsie tries to lift her spirits by going on a diet. Annie is put out when Concepta doesn't use the pillow she got her for Christopher, and rubbishes the notion that it's unsafe. She annoys Concepta by lecturing her about sticking to regular feeding times. Concepta dismisses her ideas as old-fashioned. Ena makes the most of Len and Jerry doing the repairs on the vestry with Swindley paying the bill. Emily is thrilled to be allowed to hold Christopher and surprises Swindley with her knowledge of babies. Harry, Concepta, Lucille, Elsie, Len, Ken, Val, Sam, Albert, Ena, Minnie and Martha gather at No.7 for a party while Annie stays away. Lucille feels left out as everyone is interested in the baby.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 7 Coronation Street - Back room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Glad Tidings Mission Hall - Vestry
- The child playing Christopher Hewitt is unknown.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Florrie Lindley (Betty Alberge) was credited but did not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: A new baby arrives in the Street and noses are put out of joint
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,896,000 homes (1st place).
|August 1962 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th
Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →