Elsie doesn't know if she should tell Gail that Roy Thornley is married. Emily finds the hospital exhausting. Elsie tells Gail about Roy's family but she doesn't believe her. Annie is annoyed when Hilda broadcasts the fact that it's her birthday. Elsie gives Roy the message from his wife in front of Gail. He tells Gail it was only a game - what did she expect? She gives him back his bracelet but he tells her he can't give her back her virginity. A young man arrives at the Rovers, wears thick spectacles and drinks several pints before saying that he is there to take Annie on her first driving lesson. It then transpires that he is a friend of Eddie's called Cliff Humphries who he called in in an attempt to set up an unamused Annie. Eddie does a paper round at The Kabin. Instructor Don Grady gives Annie her first proper lesson, to the residents' amusement.
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Roy Thornley - Sidney Livingstone
- Don Grady - David Miller
- Cliff Humphries - John Batty
- Gary Pendleton - Peter Richard
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- The Kabin
- 20 Victoria Street - Upstairs flat
- Sylvia's Separates - Shop and back room
- TV Times synopsis: How will Gail react when she learns the truth about Roy Thornley?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,510,000 homes (16th place).
- The Granada Plus repeat episode of this episode on 20th November 1996 was edited down for timing reasons leading to two scenes being shortened: the opening scene in The Kabin was trimmed by 56" omitting Rita Fairclough telling Ernest Bishop that she hadn't found any club work for him and Gail Potter apologising to Deirdre Langton for her earlier comments about Ray, while 1'18" was cut from the first Rovers scene where Hilda Ogden tells Bet Lynch and Ena Sharples that it's Annie Walker's birthday. The total length of the cuts was 2'14".
|August 1976 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →