The lads stop out all night in the warehouse and are awoken when the workers return in the morning. The dropped cigarette in the storeroom smoulders and then starts a fire. Rita packs her case. Ivy threatens Edna Gee with the sack if her work doesn't improve. Edna sneaks off to the storeroom for a cigarette. As she opens the door she is engulfed by flames. As the fire spreads, the workers panic and vacate the warehouse. Tricia suffers from shock and is laid out on the bench. Firemen battle to control the fire. Len settles Rita by saying he'll pay £2 extra a week to Mavis and will charge Rita £1 a week rent for the flat. Ivy searches for Edna as the fire rages on. The residents remember the fire at the maisonettes. The fireman can't control the blaze as the warehouse is full of flammable goods and liquefied petroleum gas. Helped by Ena, Bet and Betty move the spirits and cigarettes into the Rovers' living room as the police evacuate the Street.
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Tricia Hopkins - Kathy Jones
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Kevin Marsh - Kevin Moreton
- Chris Ashton - Bryan Sweeney
- Bernie Marsh - Sean Flanagan
- Edna Gee - Mavis Rogerson
- Jack Tilsley - Bert Gaunt
- Fire Officer Hudson - Geoff Tomlinson
- Leading Fireman - Neville Wright
- Frank Singleton - Patrick McGuigan
- P.C. Lyle - Lloyd McGuire
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- Mark Brittain Warehouse - Packing room, storeroom, corridor and back wall
- The Kabin
- Final appearance of Mavis Rogerson as Edna Gee.
- Four years before the introduction of Peter Dudley as Bert Tilsley in Episode 1881 (29th January 1979) as the husband for Ivy, this episode and several others at this time speaks of "Jack" as being her husband and the character appears in this episode and the previous one played by Bert Gaunt. The change of the character and actor was made in the late 1970s as fellow factory worker Vera Duckworth constantly spoke of her husband also being called Jack in the interim.
- All of the sequences on the Grape Street set were OB recorded. Unusually, one shot of the second fire engine arriving at Coronation Street showed the railway goods yard which then stood the other side of the viaduct. This now forms a part of the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester.
- TV Times synopsis: Fire threatens the street!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,279,000 homes (chart placing unknown).
|October 1975 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th
Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →