Annie warms to Philippa when she has similar ideas to her about the pub. Billy borrows Harry's car to take Philippa out. Annie plans to go with them but Billy puts her off. Ena writes to Prince Philip about the street's name. Frank refuses to sign the petition because of his job. The front axle goes and Billy and Philippa are stuck in the country.
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- This episode caused trouble for Granada as a law at that time forbade mention of individual members of the Royal Family in drama presentations and questions were supposedly asked in the House of Commons. The Postmaster-General contacted Granada and told them to drop all references from future scripts but no further action was taken. After this other programmes began to mention the Royal Family (most notably, That Was The Week That Was and Till Death Us Do Part) and the law fell into disuse.
- TV Times synopsis: Feelings rise in Coronation Street at the possibility of action from the Town Hall. Ena sends a very important letter.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,844,000 homes (2nd place).
|May 1962 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th
Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →