Elaine tells Ken she doesn't love him and can't marry him. He feels bitter as she wants to remain friends. Alf is worried about the pending court case and plans to resign. Alan returns to Elsie in London and she tells him about Dennis. Ken uses Norma to pull back into life. Elsie doesn't think she can face the Street. Alf goes to resign but Annie learns that Norman Leach is pleading guilty.
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Elaine Perkins - Joanna Lumley
- Mr. Perkins - Wensley Pithey
- Sister Delaney - Sheila Bernette
- Mrs. Mary Bedford - Barbara Grant
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and back room
- Corner Shop
- Elaine Perkins' house - Living room
- Unnamed London hospital - Side room and corridor
- Unknown London bar
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie tries to put things right with Alan. But is she in time to mend her marriage?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,300,000 homes (2nd place).
- The Granada Plus repeat of this episode on 12th October 1996 was edited down for timing reasons omitting two scenes, one of length 15" from Part One where Alan Howard drinks up and leaves a London bar, and the 55" introductory scene from Part Two where Alf Roberts refuses to share his problems with an inquiring Maggie Clegg at the Corner Shop, while Alan and Elsie Howard's conversation at the hospital was trimmed in two places by 12" and 8" respectively, and 10" was missing from the beginning of the scene where hospital orderly Mary Bedford applies Elsie's make-up.
|August 1973 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th
Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →