Hilda starts to get annoyed at the gossip about Stan. Norma prepares for a visit to Risley Remand Centre to see Jacko. Jerry collects for a "good luck" gift from Ernie and Emily for Jacko before his trial. Emily wants to go and see Jean Cooper again in light of what Stan told them. Hilda tells Jerry that she's going to visit 19 Inkerman Street. Amused, he nevertheless warns her to be careful. Minnie and Albert bicker over the running of the Community Centre in Ena's absence. Jerry delights in telling Stan about Hilda's visit. The Bishops call on Jean Cooper and find Christine Peters there. Hilda walks out from No.19 well satisfied with her visit. The Bishops find out from Jean that Christine had a breakdown when her own baby died and her husband, Jack Peters, left her. Jean arrived home one day and found her sister with Jason Lomax. The first chance she could, Jean took the baby to the croft and makes no apologies for shielding her. Stan can't face going home at closing time but is refused sanctuary at the Rovers. Hilda tells Stan that Mrs Regan is cohabiting with Tommy McAllistair. Stan is upset at the thought but Hilda warns him that she's seen danger signs in the tea leaves should he see her again. Back home, Ernie wants to go to the police but Emily sides with Jean and tells him of Irma Barlow's baby-snatch and how she returned Anthony Lock without saying anything. Ernie is appalled at her actions and determined to tell the police himself. A division occurs between the two of them. Norma returns and is short with a sympathetic Billy. She tells Jerry that Jacko is pleading guilty so he has no chance of avoiding jail.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and doorway
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Inkerman Street - Ginnel and back yard of No.19
- 22 Talbot Street - Living room
- The ginnel of the Grape Street set and the back yard of 5 Coronation Street doubled for Inkerman Street and the back yard of No.19.
- TV Times synopsis: A crisis of conscience for the Bishops.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,125,000 homes (6th place).
|January 1973 episodes|
|← Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st →