Janet tells Alan that Helen let it slip in the Rovers that she didn’t visit her in Leicester but no one who matters was listening. Betty tells Maggie that she heard the admission and works out that she was in Leeds with Alan. Hilda hears the end of the conversation. Irma asks for her post office savings book to be sent on. Det. Inspector Sharp questions Dave and Ted and hears that Lucille was refused a pay rise. Dave asks him if he suspects it being an inside job. Sharp turns up at the Rovers to question Lucille and asks why she used a dangerous short cut when Big Norm wasn't accompanying her. Maggie tells Janet what she knows of the Leeds trip but gets the brush-off. Lucille remembers that after the attack she thought she heard someone say her name. Hilda tells Stan her suspicions that Alan and Janet are having an affair and tells Stan to inform Len so that he can tell Alan the secret is out – to avoid further trouble. Dave sacks Lucille and takes on Jackie in her place. Sharp tells Dave they have a lead but refuses to give the name of the suspect. Annie is furious at the sacking. Stan tells Len about Janet and Alan. Len tells him to keep his mouth shut and for Hilda to be told the same. Janet refuses a request from Colin to go to the pictures. Alan tells Janet he's scared of wagging tongues. Maggie overhears the conversation. Stan warns Hilda what Len will do to her if she gossips. Annie tells Dave he is callous. Len calls on Janet and she tells him that she and Alan spent the night together at the hotel.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Janet Reid - Judith Barker
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dave Smith - Reginald Marsh
- Ted Loftus - Ted Morris
- Colin Harvey - Paul Moriarty
- Det. Inspector Bill Sharp - Derek Newark
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug, back room and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Dave Smith's Betting Shop - Shop and office
- Jackie, the girl who takes over Lucille Hewitt's job in the betting shop is uncredited although she has lines of dialogue as she serves a customer at the counter.
- TV Times synopsis: A visit from the C.I.D.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,150,000 homes (9th place).
|September 1971 episodes|
|← Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th
Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th →