Joe tells Irma that he smashed Steve's head against the wall and then threw him down the stairs. He threatens her if she tells anyone. He continues to drink as Irma asks to be let go. He tells of a different side to Steve: that he set up poker games and held the loser's pay checks when they couldn't pay him. He tells her that he owed Steve £2,000. Gregg, Gary, Bet and Maggie return to the shop but decide not to disturb them. Joe refuses to leave the flat until Irma acts normally. Bet invites them down for a party. Joe agrees when Irma controls herself. Billy tells Annie he'll get her a new barmaid. He suddenly has an idea who he can ask. The next morning he asks Bet to call into the Rovers at dinnertime. Val snaps at Albert, thinking he wrote the letter to Ken. Annie tells Ernie he's a hypocrite. In Ray's presence Albert finds a letter he should have posted to Ken. Elsie sees that something is wrong with Irma but Joe interrupts them before she can say anything. Val shuns Ray's offer of a driving lesson. Bet agrees to be the new barmaid at the Rovers. Joe forces Irma to agree to him staying at the flat. Annie returns from a lunchtime appointment to find Bet behind the bar in a low-cut dress. She tells Billy to get rid of her as she's lowering the tone. He refuses as she's good for business. Annie reluctantly gives Bet a trial period but tells her to dress in “warmer” clothing. Val tells Ray about Ken's phone call. Ray tells her it wasn't Albert who wrote to Ken. Val wonders who it could have been.
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Joe Donelli - Shane Rimmer (Credited as "Joe Donnelli")
- Gregg Flint - Bill Nagy
- Gary Strauss - Callen Angelo
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street - Living room and kitchen
- The scenes on the Grape Street set were OB recorded.
- Although ITV had begun full-colour transmissions on 15th November 1969, the ITV Colour Strike which began on 13th November 1970 caused this episode to be recorded in black and white.
- TV Times synopsis: Irma gets a warning and Billy hires a new barmaid for Annie.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,650,000 homes (5th place).
|December 1970 episodes|
|← Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th
Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th →