Stan can't understand why Annie has cancelled their tea. Hilda is suspicious about Annie's motives in inviting him and tries to find out what went on. Ray agrees to teach Val to drive. Irma winds up Hilda by saying that Stan is obviously keeping the truth from her. Ray gives Val her first driving lesson. Hilda thinks Annie wanted to warn Stan from being amorous with Betty. Bet tells her the truth, having heard it herself from Betty. Elsie and Emily worry about Val's reputation. Gregg Flint and Gary Strauss turn up, telling a delighted Elsie that they're on leave. Elsie tells them that Joe is at Minnie's. Hilda and Stan are upset that people think they're a joke. Elsie tries to warn Ray off Val but he refuses to listen. Gregg and Gary turn up at No.5 to find out Joe has deserted from the US Army and tell him they're taking him back.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Joe Donelli - Shane Rimmer
- Gregg Flint - Bill Nagy (Credited as "Greg Flint")
- Gary Strauss - Callen Angelo
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- The scene on the Grape Street set of Valerie Barlow learning to drive was OB recorded.
- Although ITV had begun full-colour transmissions on 15th November 1969, the ITV Colour Strike which began on 13th November 1970 caused this episode to be recorded in black and white.
- During a conversation between Irma Barlow and Maggie Clegg, it is stated that Hilda Ogden had been away visiting her sister. This contradicts the established story that Hilda only has two brothers, Archie and Norman Crabtree.
- TV Times synopsis: Ray gives Val driving lessons - and the gossips move into top gear.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,550,000 homes (6th place).
|November 1970 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th
Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th →