Gypsies camp on a slum clearance site near to Coronation Street. Irma returns from holiday in Torquay and is horrified to discover the shop is almost empty with no stock on order. Ken is given a grant to visit New York and study technical education, leaving next week. Not knowing previously of his application, Val hides her upset. Irma tells Hilda she's made a loss of £7, 2/9. Gypsies Reuben Ward and John Smith collect junk in the street. Tommy Deakin rows with them for operating on his patch. When Reuben goes to hit Tommy, Ray scares him off. Hilda is tearful at Irma's lack of gratitude. The shop's replacement stock arrives from the wholesalers. Irma discovers from Ray that Hilda sold Stan cigarettes at cut price. She orders her father to pay the difference. When Tommy provokes Reuben and John in the Rovers, Billy shocks Annie by threatening to bar him and not the gypsies.
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Peter Barlow - Christopher Dormer
- Susan Barlow - Wendy Jane Walker
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- John Smith - Shane Connaughton
- Reuben Ward - James Donnelly
- Ellen Smith - Margaret Steed
- Flora Smith - Lynne Dunne
- Tommy Deakin - Paddy Joyce
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Gypsy encampment and nearby streets
- All location sequences in this episode, including a scene on the Grape Street set, were recorded on 16mm film.
- In an example of the continuous recording without retakes technique that was the production norm at the time, Neville Buswell knocks an open bottle of milk over on the Ogdens' table in one scene but Bernard Youens continues acting, ad-libbing “that’s the milk gone for a burton.”
- TV Times synopsis: Gipsies in the Street.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,250,000 homes (2nd place).
|October 1970 episodes|
|← Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th
Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th →