Oliver's loved ones await the judge's verdict. Nick receives a 'Get Well Soon' card for Oliver from Sam at the flat but doesn't pass it on, knowing that that Leanne won't like it. Aggie feels sorry for Oliver's family but moreso for her colleagues at the hospital who've been villified for doing their jobs. Sarah and Toyah keep Oliver company while Leanne and Steve go to court. Before they leave, Steve hears a parent on the phone complain that Dr Howarth can't treat his daughter as she's busy working on Oliver's case. Nick arrives at the family court to support Leanne. Leanne is past caring whether he's there or not and allows him in the court room. Tracy, Simon, Amy and Emma solemnly await the verdict at No.1. The judge rules in favour of the trust's application to withdraw Oliver's treatment. In a detailed summation of the case, she states that she's satisfied that every avenue of treatment for Oliver was explored and any hope of recovery is futile. Leanne cries in anguish and begs the judge to change her mind, to no avail. Steve relays the bad news to everyone at No.1 while Leanne rings Toyah. Leanne begins making plans to appeal on the grounds that a cure for Oliver's condition may be found later. Elliot and Imran tell her it's unlikely an appeal would succeed. Nick urges Leanne to listen to their advice only to be told that he doesn't have a say anymore. Having been silent so far, Steve gives a muted yes when Leanne asks if he'll support her. Tracy promises to back Steve even after he admits they've no new evidence to support their appeal. Natasha hears the news and goes to see how Nick is. He tells her Leanne is in denial. Gail decamps to the Rovers so that Max and Lily don't see her cry. Jenny takes her through to the back for a private drink. Leanne is buoyed by the thought of appealing and warns Dr Howarth not to touch Oliver's machine. Nick tells Natasha that he hid from the truth as he was frightened of Leanne's sadness. Steve can't bear to see his son suffer any longer. As Leanne sets about scouring the internet to find possible treatments, Steve stops her in her tracks, telling her it's time to let Oliver go. Seeing the look of defeat in his eyes, Leanne goes on the offensive, accusing him of never truly supporting her in her determination to save Oliver. Steve refutes this, stating that he's trying to do what's right for his son. Leanne interprets his words as meaning she's being selfish for trying to keep Oliver alive. She says she hates him for pretending to be on their side and vows never to stop fighting until she's dead. Steve tells her categorically that he won't support the appeal. Leanne becomes desperate, begging him not to kill Oliver. Steve apologises and leaves.
- Leanne Battersby - Jane Danson
- Steve McDonald - Simon Gregson
- Oliver Battersby - Emmanuel & Jeremiah Cheetham
- Imran Habeeb - Charlie De Melo
- Toyah Battersby - Georgia Taylor
- Nick Tilsley - Ben Price
- Sarah Barlow - Tina O'Brien
- Emma Brooker - Alexandra Mardell
- Amy Barlow - Elle Mulvaney
- Simon Barlow - Alex Bain
- Tracy McDonald - Kate Ford
- Kirk Sutherland - Andrew Whyment
- Aggie Bailey - Lorna Laidlaw
- Ed Bailey - Trevor Michael Georges
- David Platt - Jack P. Shepherd
- Gail Rodwell - Helen Worth
- Natasha Blakeman - Rachel Leskovac
- Jenny Connor - Sally Ann Matthews
- Fiz Stape - Jennie McAlpine
- Parent - Gareth George
- Nurse - Kaitlyn Akinpelumi
- Trust Barrister - Joti Patel
- Judge - Maxine Finch
- Elliot Newell - Toby Gaffney
- Dr Howarth - Caroline Harding
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 8 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Victoria Street
- 19a Victoria Street - Living room/kitchen
- 12 Victoria Court - Living room/kitchen
- Weatherfield General - Exterior, paediatric surgical unit room 2 and corridor
- Family court - Court room
- This was a one-hour episode made up of two production codes and transmitted at 7.30pm to enable a two-hour episode of Vera to be shown immediately afterwards. Both halves were written by Owen Lloyd-Fox.
- This episode focuses entirely on Oliver Battersby's mitochondrial disease storyline.
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this episode was made with social distancing rules being observed by both cast and production crew, even when they were playing family members or people who shared residences.
- TV Times synopsis: The judge announces her ruling in Oliver's case; Leanne vows to launch an appeal; and Steve harbours doubts about her decision.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast: 6,238,138 viewers (12th place).
|November 2020 episodes|
|← Mon 2nd (1 2) • Wed 4th (1 2) • Fri 6th (1 2) • Mon 9th (1 2)
Wed 11th (1 2) • Fri 13th • Mon 16th (1 2) • Wed 18th (1 2) • Fri 20th (1 2)
Mon 23rd (1 2) • Wed 25th (1 2) • Fri 27th (1 2) • Mon 30th (1 2) →