Yasmeen stands gripping the broken shard as she takes in what just happened. Sally and Tim look in on the couple after their hurried departure from the Rovers but Yasmeen ignores the knock at the door as she washes the blood off her hands. In the Rovers, the regulars gossip about Geoff and Yasmeen's odd behaviour. Cathy thinks Geoff is in the doghouse for not taking Yasmeen out somewhere fancy but Eileen says that Geoff was the angry one, from what she heard. Yasmeen dials 999 and tells the operator she's just killed her husband. The residents are shocked to see an ambulance and two police cars pull up outside No.6. Paramedics find a pulse on Geoff. Tim thinks Geoff's had a heart attack and is allowed inside. PC Carson keeps Yasmeen away from Geoff as she questions her on the sofa. Tim goes with Geoff in the ambulance. Yasmeen is arrested on suspicion of assault and taken away in a police car. Sally witnesses her arrest. Ryan tries to get hold of Alya. Yasmeen's clothes are taken as evidence. She's relieved when Imran shows up to represent her, having been called by Ryan. The police question the residents about the Metcalfes' relationship and the events leading up to the stabbing, though none of them know what's happened. Cathy refutes Brian's assertion that Yasmeen has a drinking problem. Alya books the first flight home. Sally and Faye join Tim at Geoff's bedside. Tim is gobsmacked when Sally tells him about Yasmeen's arrest. No arteries have been severed but Geoff's existing health problems give the Metcalfes little hope. Yasmeen is interviewed by DS Abney. Still in shock, her primary concern is how Geoff is. She's too dazed to make a proper account of the stabbing, giving stuttered and vague replies to the detective's questions and making no attempt to defend herself. She says she just wanted it to stop. Her confused state leads the detective to terminate the interview, at Imran's pleading. DS Abney makes the case to Imran that as there were two blows - the first shattering the bottle - any claim of self defence is weakened. Imran begs Yasmeen to give him something he can use to defend her and warns her that if Geoff doesn't pull through, she's looking at a murder charge.
- Geoff Metcalfe - Ian Bartholomew
- Yasmeen Metcalfe - Shelley King
- Eileen Grimshaw - Sue Cleaver
- Peter Barlow - Chris Gascoyne
- Cathy Matthews - Melanie Hill
- Brian Packham - Peter Gunn
- Sally Metcalfe - Sally Dynevor
- Tim Metcalfe - Joe Duttine
- Carla Connor - Alison King
- Ryan Connor - Ryan Prescott
- Imran Habeeb - Charlie De Melo
- Faye Windass - Ellie Leach
- Alya Nazir - Sair Khan (Uncredited, voice only)
- Paramedic - Sakinah May Love
- PC Carson - Amy Searles
- PC Mills - Serena Ryan
- PC Fletcher - Andrew Westfield
- DS Abney - Fiona Skinner
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 6 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Weatherfield Police Station - Interview room, changing room and corridor
- Weatherfield General - High dependency unit - room 4
- This episode, transmitted at 7.30pm, was the only episode shown on this date due to the 2019-20 coronavirus pandemic. This led to a temporary cessation of the programme's production which began on 23rd March, and a scaling back on the transmission of previously recorded episodes from six to three a week which began from 30th March onwards.
- This episode was produced with the intention of it being transmitted on Easter Monday, 13th April at 8.30pm.
- Due to time constraints before the MediaCity studios were locked down, the end credits for this episode were not remade but instead used that originally intended for both this and the previous episode. This means that Nina Lucas (Mollie Gallagher) was credited but did not appear. For the same reason, fight arranger Kate Waters was credited for work featured in the previous episode.
- This episode was entirely devoted to the Geoff and Yasmeen Metcalfe storyline.
- TV Times synopsis: Yasmeen faces the consequences as the paramedics attend to Geoff; and the police question The Rovers' regulars about Geoff and Yasmeen's relationship.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast: 8,002,719 viewers (4th place).
|May 2020 episodes|
|← Fri 1st • Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Fri 8th
Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Fri 15th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th
Fri 22nd • Mon 25th • Wed 27th • Fri 29th →