Coronation Street historyEdit
- 1902 - Construction of Albert Street (renamed as Coronation Street) comes to an end, the day before the Coronation of King Edward VII and the arrival of the first residents.
- 1936 - Derek Wilton born.
- 1973 - Alan Howard discovers from the police that the missing Elsie is in London, unconscious in hospital after having been knocked down by a taxi.
- 1984 - On his birthday, Derek Wilton proposes to Mavis Riley.
- 1990 - Mike Baldwin interviews Jackie Ingram, who is posing as "Jackie Williams" in order to spy on Mike's new operation for her husband, Mike's boss and future nemesis Peter Ingram (First appearance of the character).
- 1999 - Blanche Hunt returns to Weatherfield to stay permanently. Jack Duckworth suffers a major heart attack.
- 2001 - Fiz Brown returns to the Street and is taken on at Underworld.
- 2003 - Karen McDonald demands a divorce from Steve in order that they can re-marry with a full blown wedding and not a quick Registry Office service.
- 2007 - Angela Hawthorne's funeral takes place and Norris Cole meets Ivor Priestley and George Trench, two more of her previous ex-husbands.
- 2008 - Tony Gordon tries to force elderly resident Jed Stone from his home in order that he can redevelop the house (First appearance of the character since 1966).
- 2011 - Chris Gray explains to Cheryl Gray and Maria Connor that he has been behaving strangely recently because he has a brain tumour.
- 2014 - On remand, Peter Barlow gets drink from Jim McDonald (first appearance of Jim since 2011).
- 2016 - Nick Tilsley has Robert Preston arrested on a charge of drink-driving.
- 1933 - Producer John G. Temple born.
- 1979 - As the 1979 ITV Strike started to gather pace HTV and Thames Television were blacked out and viewers in the regions covered by these stations were unable to see the episode of Coronation Street broadcast on this day. This was also the final time that viewers in the other ITV regions were able to watch the programme until 24th October as the rest of the network came out on strike on 10th August.
Episodes were broadcast on 8th August on the following years:
- 1960s - 1962, 1966
- 1970s - 1973, 1977, 1979
- 1980s - 1983, 1984, 1988
- 1990s - 1990, 1994, 1997, 1999
- 2000s - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005 (I) (II), 2007, 2008 (I) (II)
- 2010s - 2011 (I) (II), 2014 (I) (II), 2016 (I) (II), 2018 (I) (II)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|