Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
- 5th January - Maggie and Les Clegg agree on a divorce.
- 14th January - Ray Langton and Sandra Butler get engaged.
- 21st January - Anita Reynolds accepts a proposal from Len Fairclough, but Len is worried about the age difference and calls it off that same day.
- 16th February - Bill Gregory returns to Coronation Street for the first time since 1962, intending to marry Elsie Tanner.
- 25th February - Elsie Tanner turns down Bill Gregory's proposal of marriage.
- 9th March - Football yobs descend on the Street.
- 23rd March - Ray Langton returns from the Buxton Recuperation Centre to recover from the coach crash accident in the Lake District.
- 30th March - Lucille Hewitt returns from a seven month stay in Ireland with Concepta Hewitt. (In reality, actress Jennifer Moss was on maternity leave).
- 6th April - Ray Langton and Sandra Butler set their wedding date as Ray's affair with Audrey Fleming intensifies.
- 8th April - David Barlow dies in a car crash in Australia.
- 9th April - Darren Barlow dies in Australia, one day after the car crash which killed his father David.
- 13th April - The Street hears of the death of David Barlow in Australia.
- 15th April - Hilda Ogden flies out to Australia to be with Irma Barlow after David dies, not knowing that her grandson Darren has also died.
- 27th April - The newly-widowed Irma Barlow returns from Australia.
- 29th April - Ken Barlow and Irma have a furious row over David's death.
- 6th May - Stan Ogden buys Irma Barlow a partnership in the Corner Shop but Irma doesn't want to return there. Dickie Fleming leaves Audrey and the Street.
- 11th May - Ray Langton and Bernard Butler fight in the Rovers over Ray's affair with Audrey while all the time he was engaged to Bernard's sister Sandra.
- 13th May - Her marriage to Dickie in tatters, Audrey Fleming leaves the Street and returns to her parents in Preston (Final appearance of the character).
- 18th May - On a night out with Dave Smith, Irma Barlow bumps into old workmate Bet Lynch (Bet becomes a regular from this episode onwards until 1995).
- 20th May - Betty Turpin is terrorised by Keith Lucas, a man who Cyril Turpin once helped put in jail.
- 29th June - Final appearance of Bernard Butler.
- 30th June - Jack Walker dies suddenly while visiting daughter Joan Davies in Derby.
- 6th July - Alan Howard returns to Weatherfield after a four month absence and restarts his tempestuous relationship with Elsie Tanner again.
- 8th July - Alan Howard proposes to Elsie Tanner but is refused.
- 20th July - Elsie Tanner accepts Alan Howard's proposal of marriage at the second time of asking.
- 22nd July - Alan Howard marries Elsie Tanner. Handel Gartside returns to Weatherfield after thirty-three years living in Canada.
- 29th July - Annie Walker returns from Derby a widow, having buried husband Jack there.
- 5th August - Ena Sharples finds young organist Tony Parsons playing the harmonium in the Victoria Street Mission and realises that the boy has talent.
- 10th August - Annie Walker applies for the licence for the Rovers in replacement of the recently-deceased Jack.
- 26th August - Billy Walker returns to live in Weatherfield after living in London for nine years.
- 31st August - Sandra Butler leaves Coronation Street with Frank Bradley and Judd Johnson (Final appearance of Sandra). Maggie Clegg goes to see estranged husband Les after finding out he is dying.
- 2nd September - Billy Walker buys the Canal Garage and takes on the down-on-his-luck Alan Howard as his mechanic.
- 16th September - Annie Walker becomes legal landlady of the Rovers when the court transfers the licence to her from her deceased husband Jack.
- 19th October - Ken Barlow leaves for New York for two months to study technical education.
- 26th October - Lucille Hewitt is arrested by the police for breaking a patrol car window following a fight between some of the Street residents and gypsies encamped on the Red Rec.
- 4th November - Elsie Howard starts to realise that visiting stepson Mark Howard is not all he seems to be and that he is attempting to come between her and Alan.
- 16th November - Lisa Horton is born.
- 18th November - Billy Walker kids his mum Annie that he got Irma Barlow pregnant.
- 30th November - Joe Donelli confesses to Irma Barlow that he murdered Steve Tanner in 1968.
- 2nd December - Bet Lynch starts at the Rovers as a barmaid.
- 9th December - Betty Turpin is made head barmaid at the Rovers.
- 16th December - Joe Donelli takes Irma Barlow hostage in her flat.
- 21st December - Steve Tanner's killer Joe Donelli shoots himself dead in 5 Coronation Street after holding Irma Barlow, Minnie Caldwell and Stan Ogden hostage.
- 30th December - A Health Department report reveals that gin served at the Rovers is watered down.
|←1969 1970 1971→|
*Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, Fandom will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.