No.15 was a small property whose front door lay at the bottom of a set of stairs off Jubilee Terrace. The house consisted of an open plan parlour and kitchen/scullery downstairs, at least two bedrooms upstairs accessed via a staircase in the living room and an outside lavatory. Although cramped, it was ideal for the Caldwells as they embarked on their married lives together.
At some point, likely after Armistead's death at a young age in 1935, Minnie took in her elderly mother Amy Carlton. Amy had Minnie running around after her, much to the disapproval of her friends Ena Sharples and Martha Longhurst. Towards the end of her life, Amy was bed-ridden during the Winter months and delivered orders to her daughter by banging on the floor of her bedroom. She died in July 1962 at the grand old age of 94. It was after her mother passed away that Minnie decided she didn't like the house anymore and gave up the tenancy to move into 5 Coronation Street, which had an indoor toilet.
The other occupants of 15 Jubilee Terrace were Minnie's cats, notably Bobby, and for a short period between December 1961 and February 1962, Ena Sharples. When Ena walked out of her job and home at the Glad Tidings Mission Hall, she decided that it was Minnie's turn to have her and turned up at her friend's door. With Ena came all of her furniture, forcing Minnie to move her own furniture upstairs to make room for it. Minnie eventually got rid of her houseguest by writing to the Mission chairman, Ernest Baxter, about Ena, leading to her reinstatement.
Minnie's last Winter in the house was an especially cold one and when her pipes froze, Ena arranged for Dennis Tanner to defrost them in return for two buckets of coal. Dennis attempted to thaw the ice with a blow-lamp, which caused the pipes to burst and flooded Minnie's entire downstairs.
- Minnie Caldwell (1925-1962)
- Armistead Caldwell (1925-1935)
- Amy Carlton (until 1962)
- Ena Sharples (1961-1962)
List of appearances
- Mon 27th Nov (Exterior)
- Wed 29th Nov (Exterior and downstairs rooms)
- Mon 11th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Wed 13th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 18th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Wed 20th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 25th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Wed 27th Dec (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 1st Jan (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 8th Jan (Exterior)
- Wed 10th Jan (Exterior)
- Mon 15th Jan (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 5th Feb (Exterior and downstairs rooms)
- Wed 7th Feb (Downstairs rooms)
- Mon 26th Feb (Downstairs rooms)
- Wed 28th Feb (Exterior and downstairs rooms)
- Mon 23rd Jul (Exterior and downstairs rooms)
- Wed 25th Jul (Downstairs rooms)